cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed suddenly capped

sweeep1963
Grafter

Re: Speed suddenly capped

@willcutforth Thanks for taking a look for me. It definitely seems capped to me as every time I force a resync it is the exact same value of 48997Kbps. The noise margin is also increased and can no longer be modified by the stability adjustment of the router. Was syncing fine 5 days ago at ~56000Kbps.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@sweeep1963 wrote:

Sure, here. I've noticed the SNR has gone up by about 2dB and the stability adjustment of the router no longer works (this feature lets you reduce/increase the SNR to increase speeds or improve stability - it has worked pretty well without increasing instability since I've used it).

Gone up from what?

That set by the DLM or that fudged by messing with the router settings?

That screen shot showed (at the time) SNRM of 6dB US & DS which is the default target for the DLM.  The fact that the router is no longer allowing you to adjust the SNRM is either a router fault or there is some means of it it being disabled in the line handshake sequence.

Having looked at an example settings page, is the setting simply currently set to "Disabled" or are you unable to select the option to change it?

Does the router indicate the VDSL profile?

@willcutforth what is the service profile for this line please - speed or stability?  

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

@Townman it is set at stable. Need me to do anything?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@willcutforth

Not my call, but looking for reasons for the DLM not budging. Could that be the reason the DLM is keeping the SNRM stuck to 6dB? My DS runs at 3dB very nicely (do not know my profile).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sweeep1963
Grafter

I'm unsure what exactly changed - it resynced overnight and has been like this since - data rate capped at 48997. The stability adjustment setting is still available but not longer seems to work - no matter what adjustment I apply the SNR margin remains the same (and hence the sync speed). VDSL profile is 17a.

Would it be possible for the service profile to be changed to speed - just to see how it goes?

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I have placed the order now for you @sweeep1963 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
sweeep1963
Grafter

Great thank you, when should I expect it to take effect?

ClaudiaG23
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 23

@sweeep1963  This can take up to 72 hours working hours.

Claudia Garner
 Plusnet Help Team
sweeep1963
Grafter

Hi, has this taken place yet as I am not seeing any changes on my end - tried resyncing manually and still capped at 48997kbps..

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear this @sweeep1963 

It looks like the order placed didn't go through correctly which is why there's been no change

Having looked over this I don't think the order would have made much difference as your current DLM profile is "0.128M-49M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off"  but from what I can see your router current max attainable rate is only showing as 51.3Mbps so it's a marginal difference and whatever has caused the current DLM profile to be applied may well cause the same issue putting you back to square one.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
sweeep1963
Grafter

Could you please put the order through - as you've said my profile is 49M which finally explains my speed being capped to 49. My max attainable is 51.3 which is for this current SNR. If I set my router stability profile to -1dB, that max attainable increases to 58Mbps, though the sync speed won't change due to the cap.

csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 28

I've processed this through for you now and you'll need to allow 24 hours for the speeds to change. However, if you do notice that the same happens then we won't be able to process this again as your line will be capping itself to ensure that the overall service is stable, that tends to be the reason why a line would cap itself. 

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team
sweeep1963
Grafter

Hi, it's now Tuesday and nothing seems to have changed

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@sweeep1963 it should be lifted now. Can you reboot the router for me?

Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team