Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed after huge update....

JahPete
Rising Star

Slow speed after huge update....

Hi,

Instead of my usual 27 Mbps I am experiencing speeds of between 3 and 9 Mbps this evening after a huge and slow to download Windows update earlier..... Is this coincidence or is it a fault?

Cheers,

Pete.

19 REPLIES 19
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

Re: Slow speed after huge update....

@JahPete Not a good idea to duplicate posts. However, I suspect it is a coincidence. Try the below.

First thing to check: Is your phoneline clear? Dial 17070 (preferably from a corded phone), select option 2. Once your phone number is confirmed, there should be silence on the line except for the regular 'Quiet Line Test' message - any other noise, report a PHONE problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/

If the phone test passes, report a broadband problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

Let us know the result - if the tests come back as clear but you still have a problem, we need to investigate further.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@JahPete   just as a bit of reassurance, routers do not run on Windows, so nothing to do with that update. 

The fact it took so long may have been down to your router running slow, but not the other way round.

JahPete
Rising Star

Thanks... Just done that and the line certainly isn't silent..... I'll try it again in the morning and if it's still crackly I'll raise a fault.... Cheers....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JahPete  do you get many incoming phone calls to your landline, or it pretty much unused ?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Anonymous 

Whether or not the phone is used, or is on the SOGEA service is irrelevant. If it's a copper connection to the property then it's vulnerable to poor connections and/or radiated noise pick up.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

JahPete
Rising Star

Just checked again this morning and it's back up to around 18 Mbps, which is about par for here... I'll keep checking throughout the day and see if it drops again.....

Thanks for all the replies... so far. 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

@JahPete Is the phone quiet now? My suspicion is that there is a fault on the line that has been temporarily cleared by your test call, but it will return and cause further issues.

John
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

@JahPete I've tested everything from our side and it looks to be ok. Nothing sprang up that could be causing it. See how it is tonight and let us know if it goes down again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
JahPete
Rising Star

Still some noise on the line, so I'll raise a fault later today....

Thanks.

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

No worries, Let us know after the phone provider has fixed the issue if the speed is still slow.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@Anonymous  Whether or not the phone is used ... ... is irrelevant.

For at least 15 years my phone line becomes noisy to the point of interfering with the DSL, when there has been no INCOMING landline calls for several weeks. 

Once I'm aware that there is noise on the "Quiet Line Test",  I can ALWAYS clear the crackling by using my mobile phone to call my landline.  Incoming calls apply a 60V to 105V sine wave to the line to ring the old mechanical bell in obsolete dial phones.  This high voltage sine wave is enough to clear marginal 'high resistance' faults on a phone line.

I currently schedule myself to call my landline once a week, and let it ring for as long as possible, to keep my DSL noise margin as low as possible, and my line has been at it's lowest rate of errors since doing this.

No line test, either for phone or DSL has ever shown my landline to have a fault when crackly, and of course the act of doing a line test also seems to clear the crackling !.

I don't know what I'm going to do when my FTTC gets converted to SoGEA, as I will lose the ability to call my landline.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Anonymous wrote:

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@Anonymous  Whether or not the phone is used ... ... is irrelevant.

For at least 15 years my phone line becomes noisy to the point of interfering with the DSL, when there has been no INCOMING landline calls for several weeks. 

I don't know what I'm going to do when my FTTC gets converted to SoGEA, as I will lose the ability to call my landline.

Persist with getting the fault fixed?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

JahPete
Rising Star

I do get spam callers on the landline most days which go straight to the answerphone (inevitably no message left)...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Persist with getting the fault fixed?

That is all very well, but I'm trapped in a loop of when I report a fault, the first response is a line test, the line test clears the fault and reports that there isn't an issue, and the phone line is quiet for another month or two and my DSL goes back to normal, therefore I don't have a problem and I can't get an engineer out because there is nothing for them to investigate.