cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Fibre Speed

Funkylady1

Slow Fibre Speed

We have just moved house and are now connected to Fibre without a phone line.
The predicted speed was 34mb + with a minimum of 22mb however on doing a speed test it is coming in at only 11mb. Can anyone advise what course of action to take? Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: Slow Fibre Speed

@Funkylady1 

Report a broadband problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

Let us know the result - if the tests come back as clear but you still have a problem, we need to investigate further.

John
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Speed tests, depending how you do them, are notoriously unreliable/variable.

Have you checked (do you know how to) what speed your router is actually connected at?

jab1
Legend

@HPsauce - given what the OP posted, I still suspect a fault - if the bot doesn't find anything, then we can investigate further.

John
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

@Funkylady1 speed is below the Minimum speed. No obvious fault on the line. I will leave it to @jab1 and @HPsauce to help diagnose but just be aware that if we need to raise an engineer we will need to see the setup either via pictures or a system we call rescue lens where we use the phones camera to look at the setup.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

@jab1 is more of an expert than me but @Funkylady1 can you say what speed test you ran and what device/system/pc/phone/whatever you ran it on and how it was connected to your router?

You should be able to connect to your router by clicking on this link Basic - Status which will show the Upstream and Downstream speeds.

(As an aside, after my recent upgrade from ADSL to FTTC my main computer, which I'm using to post this, only tested at about half "expected" speed until I upgraded and reconfigured the WiFi connection in it.)

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Really could do with the ADVANCED line stats as those include SNRM and line attenuation figures.

Given that this is a SOGEA service (no PTSN voice service) if there is any internal wiring from the master socket, it would be wise to remove that so that there is no chance of that degrading the broadband service.

I am assuming that if there is internal wiring, that the router is plugged into the master socket.  Plugging routers into internal telephone extensions, especially flexible, cheap D profile extension leads is a typical source of the described symptoms - no fault on line but exceptionally slow speeds.  At this juncture, data speed tests do not assist with the diagnostic process - we need to see the line sync metrics and have a description of the physical installation.

Also there is no indication herein as to if the reported speed test was performed over an Ethernet connection to the router or WiFi ... and if the latter what was the test device.  Diagnostic DATA speed tests should only be performed over an Ethernet connected device, with WiFi turned off and no other device using the internet concurrently.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

I may be a little slow to reply - currently 'on holiday' with a very slow connection - but if no-one minds, as it gives us a good picture, can you @Funkylady1 follow the below , please?

For Community members to be able to help, information from these sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband Availability Checker (obscuring your phone number), where a landline phone is no longer supplied or known use the address version BT Broadband Address Availability (obscuring your address)

BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (Ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS'. This test is recommended to be performed with only one device connected.

Sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would also be of help.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

Where the phone line is still active, it may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If you are unsure about any of the above, please just ask - I am happy to help.

John
greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

RescueLens is an application that only runs on 'smart' phones.

I have a mobile phone, but it doesn't have a camera. Neither does it have interwebz. It is a device designed and used to make and receive voice calls and text messages. I note a shift in Plusnet p&p's here.

jab1
Legend

Your reply is 'helpful', @greygit1 🤣

John