cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should my FTTC speed profile be adjusted?

Nomadic
Grafter

Should my FTTC speed profile be adjusted?

Hi, I took the recent option for the latest Plusnet Extra Fibre 250gb package plus Technicolour router and the switchover went without problems.
It appears that I now have a 38Mbps Download and 5Mbps Upload profile.
I had a look at the BT Infinity checker results and they show my line is capable of 49.4Mb Download / 10.9MB Upload.
I've attached BT Speedtest and Infinity results.
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Should my FTTC speed profile be adjusted?

Please run this BT speedtester and report the full results http://speedtester.bt.com/
BRABUS
Grafter

As jim said, include some speed test results.  My in laws had this recently with just 10mbps download even though the BT site said at least 57.7 and we used both of these links below and posted the results on here as text.

speedtester.bt.com
speedtest.btwholesale.com

The helpful Plus Net staff looked at the post and told us to raise a ticket.  We did this and found that the line had stuck on the 40/10 setting even though they had requested 80/20.  Sounds like yours may have done the same.
WIthin around 24 hours of the ticket my inlaws now have a download speed of 71mbps so its well worth doing  Cool
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Nomadic,
It appears that your profile is still on the 40/10 profile. I have placed an order to change this and you should see your speed increase be the end of tomorrow.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Chris
Nomadic
Grafter

Hi All, thanks for your assistance, sorry for the time it has taken to get back with BT test results as requested by Jim.
I wanted to get results which were similar to my previous recent performance but now things seem to be worse than before. I have attached two copies of results, both tests have been run using my  normal setup with laptop ethernet connection and the Technicolour router and BT Modem connected to an extension. Extension cable from master socket is Cat 6.The first test run on 8th September and the second this morning.
I tried running tests with modem and router connected at master socket but the results were worse with a max download speed of approx 30Mb. I disconnected my extension phone and router wiring from the master socket but there was no difference, all my test results were slower at the master socket when run yesterday and this morning. I hadn't  read the latest posts on this thread and was not aware that monitoring have been taking place to determine my max reliable speed.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your profile is now configured correctly for the 80/20 product. So not to sure why your not getting them at the moment.
I'd suggest raising a fault at http://faults.plus.net and complete the initial diagnostic questions, this will help make sure your setup is correct and working properly and raise this to us formally to investigate further.
If you need further help please let me know and I'll be happy to assist.
Chris
Nomadic
Grafter

Hi Chris, thanks for your help.
I have redone all my connections at master socket, router extension socket and phone extension socket. Speed tests using ethernet are similar at master socket and extension (a little better at extension) .
I also followed the trouble shooting guide from your link which led me to making a connection from laptop to LAN1 port on BT modem and attached test results below. A router reset did not make any noticeble difference.  I don't appear to be getting any errors and more than 200 continuous pings to bbc.co.uk did not drop any packets.
Is this as good as I can expect, while the upload speed has improved the download speed is no better? My home is about 300 to 400 yards from the cabinet, at first fibre installation time we recorded 38Mbps.  When running speed tests a few months ago I think download speeds were about 2Mbps better than now.
Nomadic
Grafter

Question. If I was faffing about doing tests and power off and ons etc while my line profile was being determined, could this have resulted in a lower speed profile?
Let me know and I can leave well alone until a new profile has been established.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I would suggest leaving your connection as it is for the meantime. I've ran a couple of reports from our side and your sync speed hasn't increased at all.
If you could complete the fault questions from the ticket you have opened then our faults team can look at getting this resolved for you.
If you need any help with this please let me know.
Chris
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can see your fault is raised, you will need to complete the diagnostic questions, then leave it with our faults team and they will update you as soon as they have finished their testing.
If you need any help please let me know.
Chris