Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resync my profile speed please

punkindonuts
Dabbler

Resync my profile speed please

Hi
I kept having constant disconnections which I put this down to my cheap telephone extension wire. About 2 weeks ago completely replaced my extension wiring with a BT standard wire and my connection hasnt dropped once.
since the rewiring I have only been getting 3mbps where normally my profile should be able to get speeds between 10 - 12 mbps, can I please have my profile resynced to see if my speed increases back up to what it used to be
Thanks
14 REPLIES 14
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Resync my profile speed please

Hi punkindonuts,
I've just tried testing your line but it's currently not in sync. Can you let me know when it's back up so I can test it?
Jojo Smiley
punkindonuts
Dabbler

Apologies Jojo i was just trying a few things my end to see if there was anything i missed. Everything is now connected up again and running for you
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi punkindonuts,
It wasn't in sync when I checked it again. I'm a bit concerned about the disconnections you are having today though. Are you in the test socket? Have you made any changes since about 10.30 this morning?
Jojo Smiley
punkindonuts
Dabbler

Yes i was trying various things this morning. I tried a couple of different routers both in the extension and master socket as well as different RJ11 cables so my connection would have been constantly up and down this morning. I just fitted a new socket to the end of the phone extension this afternoon so it was probably down again when you last tried.
Apart from the things i have been doing today my connection as far as in know has been steady and connected for the past 2 weeks just not running at full speed, everything is connected back up now so you should be able to sync.
these are the current stats from my router, which as you can see are better by about 4mbps than they were when i posted last night so what i have done this morning has improved it but its still not up to full speed
Data Rate (kbps)  7776 1235
Noise Margin (dB) 14.5 6.1
Attenuation (dB)       27.0         16.3
Output power(dbm)    19.8 12.4
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

What router are you using at the moment?
punkindonuts
Dabbler

Im currently using a Belkin N600. apart from the week where i kept having constant disconnections the routers pretty much been fine and hardly dropped, and since i changed the extension wiring it hasnt dropped at all as far as i know apart from today when i have been playing around.
The phone runs off the same extension socket and is crystal clear i cant hear any noise on the line. So do you think i just need a resync or do you think there is another problem ?
punkindonuts
Dabbler

Hi Jojo
I dont know if you have done anything your end or if its me this end but my connection is now up to 10mbps.
I did some reading up about disconnecting the bell wire from the extension as that can cause interference, after disconnecting the wire and as soon as my connection came back it had increased in speed from 7mbps up to 10mbps. I dunno if that has solved my problem or whether it was just a complete fluke.
I am much happier with my speed now so apologies for messing you about if Ive fixed it myself  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Suggest, in future when you want to swap things about -
Use this Disconnect method -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on. On the Thomson modem/routers you will typically find it in the box marked Internet as shown here. Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (during this time swap any filters, modem/router, connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection.
You can user the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
It also is much clearer on a Connection chart where you have been doing this.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI punkindonuts,
What speeds are you getting on a speed test now?
Jojo Smiley
punkindonuts
Dabbler

Hi Jojo
here is the info from the speed test i have just done. I was getting the same readings while using the telephone extension so i ran the last test in the master socket to make sure it wasnt the extension slowing me down
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.19 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 8.27 Mbps
here are my current router stats
Downstream Upstream
  Data Rate (kbps) 9376 864
  Noise Margin (dB) 16.0 15.6
  Attenuation (dB) 27.4 16.4
  Output power(dbm) 19.8 12.4
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks, I think there's a problem with your BT IP profile. I'll see what I can do Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've just popped a bit more detail of what I've done on a ticket/email to you. Smiley
punkindonuts
Dabbler

Thanks Jojo I can already see im back up to full speed again
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Excellent, thanks for letting me know Smiley