cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pings and Gaming and Dissconnects

KingPenguinUK
Grafter

Re: Pings and Gaming and Dissconnects

Well not sure whats going on, Ping is a little higher in-game than fellow players plus the Teamspeak server I'm on sometimes the guy's say my voice crackles and stutters. But I'll be playing games like Bad Company 2 on my PC and usually I'll last around 20-30mins and then I'll get a "lost connection with server" or something along those lines. Teamspeak seems to stay ok though.
Also noticed when I use the phone on my line it sounds crackly and quite quiet, there isn't a volume on the phone itself (just a standard £12 BT phone)
BT speed tester doesn't seem to show any problems line speed wise, seems that's the max I'll get.. ok its a little lower than the downstream.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2290 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3616 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps

Just trying to work out what to do, do I fork out £100 on a decent netgear or linksys ADSL router since thats what an N one costs. Is there a fault on my line or something or is this interleaving cause me more problems?
Edit: If i get a new router I'm looking at Buffalo G300H
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you hear crackles on the phone it is essential to get that sorted out by reporting a fault to your phone service supplier. If that is BT mentioning broadband is not recommended, they are likely to blame broadband for the problem. You would need to remove the router from the line to check that it isn't.
Your sync/connection speed is about right for 56dB attenuation. If your present sync speed is maintained for 4-5 days your IP Profile should increase to 3000kbps.
David
KingPenguinUK
Grafter

Well my phone is provided by Plusnet, I just checked the line now, its not so much as a crackle but more of a hiss faint in the back groud
spraxyt
Resting Legend

You could try turning off the router (disconnect from Plusnet first) to see if that is the origin of the faint hiss. Try a different filter when you turn it on again. A faint hiss probably doesn't matter, but crackles do.
David
KingPenguinUK
Grafter

I'll give it a try tomorrow but I have done that BT silent line test and its not very silent 😛
Also this picture shows the high ping/latency I get in Battlefield Bad Company 2 and tonight I got 2-3 disconnects too Sad
BFBC2 Screenshot
KingPenguinUK
Grafter

Getting annoyed now with these disconnects while trying to enjoy a game with my mates, will turning off interleaving improve this?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I doubt that turning off interleaving will eliminate disconnects. If the BT quiet line test is not that quiet reporting a phone fault to your phone service provider would seem to be appropriate. Have you eliminated the router and filter as the source of the hiss?
David
KingPenguinUK
Grafter

Ok here's some more tests I've done.
Phone plugged straight into wall socket = No background Noise, Quiet line (how I expect it to be)
Phone plugged into filter with no ADSL connected = Same as above
Phone plugged into filter this time with ADSL conncted = background hiss/noise
Now you get 2 filters supplied with the new router I had delivered by plusnet, both filters do the same. I've even tried another filter I've found from my old modem I had in my last place but that made no difference. Also tried a different cable from the filter to the modem/router no difference.
So 3 different filters and 2 different modem cables and still can't get rid of the noise in the background.
Not sure what else is left to do
KingPenguinUK
Grafter

Ok another update, decided to hunt the old modem I use to use. Speedtouch 517 I think it is, its the non-wireless one so not very good for what I need now. (ie wireless etc)
But connecting that and getting the ADSL all up and running with internet working I didn't get any background hiss on the line with my phone, seems its something to do with this Thompson Router I recently got Sad
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Your Thomson router looks like it could be faulty. Was it recently supplied by Plusnet? If so it's worth requesting replacement under warranty.
If you want to buy your own wireless N router the spec for the Buffalo model you mentioned previously looks OK to me, though I've no personal experience of the brand.
David
KingPenguinUK
Grafter

Yeah its from Plusnet, considering I didn't pay for it and only cost me £5 P&P not really complaining, may just buy a new router/modem so I can get N Wireless
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Could you confirm the phone you've used for testing is a corded one - not cordless?
David
KingPenguinUK
Grafter

Yeah its a corded one its a BT branded Duet 20, nothing fancy
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Is there any way you can test another router at all, to prove if the Thomson is faulty? If it is we can replace it for you.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: KingPenguinUK
Ok another update, decided to hunt the old modem I use to use. Speedtouch 517 I think it is, its the non-wireless one so not very good for what I need now. (ie wireless etc)
But connecting that and getting the ADSL all up and running with internet working I didn't get any background hiss on the line with my phone, seems its something to do with this Thompson Router I recently got Sad

I assume that router was a Speedtouch 516 but seems to me to answer the "try another router" request.
David