cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping High and Upload Speed Low

dannystokie
Grafter

Re: Ping High and Upload Speed Low

As I said kirk, there is no 10 day training on Fibre, it's only ADSL this exists on.
kirk
Grafter

Apologies I always thought there were. I just read the BT's SIN 498 document (http://www.sinet.bt.com/498v4p3.pdf) and it stats that
2.2.1 Dynamic Line Management
Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is employed in GEA-FTTC. DLM constantly
manages lines to maintain a target link quality (speed and stability). It does this for as
long as the product exists.
At provision, the line is put on “wide open” VDSL2 line profiles allowing the
upstream and downstream line speeds to run at the upper limit of the product option
selected.
On the first day of operation, DLM will intervene if severe instability is detected.
Otherwise, DLM will wait until the day after provision before deciding if it must
intervene, provided that the line has been trained up for at least 15 minutes during the
preceding day.
If DLM intervenes it will set a profile with a maximum rate and a minimum rate,
where the minimum rate is set at approximately half of the maximum rate. The
purpose of the minimum rate is to ensure that the line does not train at a rate which is
significantly below the level the line should be able to achieve. If this happened, then
the line is likely to remain at a very low rate until a re-train is forced by the user by
powering off the modem.
Note : It is the DLM system thatsetsthe line profile, and this should not be interfered
with by CPs/users setting rates, SNR margins etc. at the modem.
Note : The upstream throughput is also constrained on the DSLAM to the upstream
rate requested in the order, i.e. 2Mbit/s, 10Mbit/s or 20Mbit/s, so even if the VDSL2
upstream line speed is higher, the upstream throughput is constrained to the level
ordered for the product.

Thanks for the info dannystokie
flar3
Grafter

so what do you think I should do? The first day the line was perfect albeit high ping and low upload, then the day after is was pretty much perfect, hit 76 download and 17 upload at one point with 10ms ping, seems to have dropped pretty bad now and ping back up.
kirk
Grafter

I would try the PPPoE connection as previously stated to see if its a issue with the router that Plusnet supplied you with. If there still an issue then raise a fault at https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
flar3
Grafter

I tried that, it managed to connect and login, but no web pages are showing up, any ideas?
flar3
Grafter

Now my IP profile has dropped to 68.2Mbps, whats going on?!
flar3
Grafter

It's slowed even more and IP profile has dropped from 76.91Mbps to well you can see for yourself...

mikehiow
Grafter

Can you really expect more than 16-17mbps upload?
I sync at 80/20 but achieve 70-72 down and 16-17 up on speedtests.
flar3
Grafter

Considering one speed test I did I got 19Mbps upload, I'm more annoyed at the download and ping more than anything now, its awful!
flar3
Grafter

Now the speed in the plusnet member is showing the same IP Profile, at 68.2Mbps why the drop from 76.91Mbps?
flar3
Grafter

Sorry for all the replies.
Now upload speed is what I should be getting!

Took that speed test on my HTC One.
njay
Grafter

I have to say that I don't trust the speedtest.net app at the moment on either android or IOS. The latter even says that for fast broadband connections it will not report correctly. Both always show my upload speed to be about 1Mbit faster than speedtest.net does on my wired desktop machine.
Here is what i generally get
Wired Desktop; 60-73 down and 15-18up.
Ipad3 (latest version of IOS) 38-40 down 18up (Scale only goes to 50Mbits)
Nexus 4: 10-35 down 18-19 up. (This test finishes very quickly compared to other two platforms and signal meter only goes up to 20Mbits with needle off the scale anyway when its running before giving results higher than meter shows lol) 
IP Profile has settled (fingers crossed) at 77.44Mbits and 20Mbits down
For my wireless to be going quicker on upload than a wired connection is dubious to me Smiley
flar3
Grafter

Yeah I did think it was a bit odd, but even on ethernet i'm getting 18Mbps upload, so yeah 1Mbps more on the app aha!
But even so still hating the download speeds, and the fact my IP profile has been reduced, and ping is still high again.
njay
Grafter

Well Plusnet dont reduce IP profile as that's down to the DLM. Plusnet can only set their systems in line with it which normally happens 2-3times a day and so its now dropped to match the IP profile.
I think what I find frustrating is the lack of connection stats due to having locked down OR modems. I am so used to having these details on my ADSL connection lol and could see when something was up (should that be down in terms of speed) lol..
flar3
Grafter

Its a bit silly that for the last few days of was at over 77mbps and has dropped, is there anyway anyone can increase it at all? Even so I'm not getting close to 68Mbps that I'm getting now, but only like 30mbps on ethernet.