cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openreach confused- Issues resetting DLM

Anyajw92

Openreach confused- Issues resetting DLM

Hello,

Recently switched to plusnet and have been chasing speed issues as it is under the handback threshold of 44Mb.

Rang plusnet Monday and someone reset my line (not sure what exactly) and speeds went up from a capped 35.999 to this. Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 2.49.04 pm.png

Much better sync speed, but not quite hitting the mark.

An openreach engineer was sent out and said the line was pretty clear but had 2200 odd FEC errors but wouldn't bring it past the threshold of 44Mb, even if the line was looked at further, so left. 

Another openreach engineer came out couple days later and spent a good few hours changing the line (after ruling the house wiring) over at different drop points and even changed ports in the cabinet, he assured me speed to the cabinet was 78Mb and being 600m from the cabinet should see about 60Mb at least. FEC errors have been reduced to 7 on the download and 1 on the upload a very clean line. After having issues resetting the DLM (wasn't dropping the connection during reset)he rang lady from india who had to reset remotely, this has left us both confused. As she also mentioned a cap that she was unable to remove and needed to investigate further.  

After the line change i'm left with an even slower sync speed (especially my upload) and a ping ms thats doubled from 18 to 40ms.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 5.18.57 pm.png

Any ideas where the problem could lie? DSLAM? DLM? Banding? 

Last engineer doesn't know where to go next. 

Availability checker for reference

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 10.45.40 pm.png 

5 REPLIES 5
Anyajw92

Re: Openreach confused- Issues resetting DLM

Is a mod on here able to look into this further for me please?

I know I was capped with a previous provider. Issues with connection profile/cap?

The woman from India the openreach engineer spoke to said something about a cap she couldn't remove? But was able to reset the DLM with a connection drop out, something the engineer couldn't do. At this point the engineer had switched pairs and had checked the line, cleaner line I was told.

The engineer was advised to change ports, as it was identified as faulty which resulted in a slower sync speed and slower ping.
Not sure how that's possible really, maybe an issue with the cabinet sending data out?

Issues with DLM?
So I know there's been a fault on my line for a few years and I don't believe a proper DLM reset has happened after the fix (port change at the cabinet - max sync rate decreased and cap still in place).

Hopefully this makes sense to someone.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 75

@Anyajw92 

The mods on this site are not plusnet staff and would not be able to help as you would like, hopefully a staff member will see this post and assist. They are a bit thin on the ground during weekends.

Are you on 'Fibre' copper cable broadband with no landline phone, also know has SOGEA?

Is the Hub Two connected to the Openreach Master Socket and which model is it with or without a modem socket?

If you are 'Fibre' do you have any phoneline extension cables around the house still connected to the master socket, these should be removed as they can impact line attenuation?

Anyajw92

Thank you for clarifying, I didn't realise the difference. I will wait patiently haha

Yes, sogea line, hub 2 to the mastersocket all been checked and ruled out nothing connected that shouldn't be. The engineer even took the line from just before it goes into the house and tested from there to make sure, same results.

Just spoken with plusnet who are having trouble completing the tests, as was the engineer yesterday.

So another engineer has been booked in for Monday to fault find some more I guess.

Starting to think there's an issue with the Dslam as it's coming into the cab at 78Mb and by the time it's at the next drop point it's at 36Mb.. Total line is 600m from cab.

Lines have all been swapped from the cab to the house, only made things worse.

Plusnet have reset the ports in the cab today as well, better upload sync, better ping but slower download sync.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

This has echoes of markedly bad D-side segments.  In such situations the best that you might get, is the best of a bad bunch.  In some areas the D-side segments are in poor condition, in need of replacement ... which as the roll out of FTTP progresses is highly unlikely to happen.

The fact that a marked drop has been measured part way along the D-side firmly points to a cabling issue.  That makes me wonder if the segment is copper or aluminium!!  I had a mixed metal D-sides years ago ... in the end, they re-routed the O/H via a different pole to 'avoid' the aluminium segment.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anyajw92

I've been told its a full copper line, but has been found out to be an extra 100m longer than on the plans that openreach use.
Which does explain not being able to sync above the threshold handback (kind of).

Getting 43Mb down 14Mb up now, but line drops every day or so.. Keeping an eye on it, might be the DLM doing it's thing.

Openreach engineers said Fttp will be available in the next 12 months or so. Currently building according to the map below (next village has fttp already).

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband

Hopefully not a long wait and plusnet will sort me out with full fibre Wink