Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not connecting to Broadband on start up

hamilton36
Grafter

Not connecting to Broadband on start up

Hi,
I am using Voyager210 router, which I switch of at night.  Once it is connected it works fine and the line does not drop, but I am having problems on start up.  All 4 green lights are on, yet I cannot connect to Internet or send/receive emails. The error message is "cannot connect to server". Usually, after a few minutes it connects and then works OK, or I have to switch it off and on to get a connection.
I have 2 O/S, WindowsSP Pro. SP3 and Linux/Ubuntu running on AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor; 1 Gb ram; NVidia GeForce 6100 nForce 430 graphics card and NVidia HDA sound card.  The problem with the router happens on start up irrespective of the O/S. 
Is this is a sign of a developing more serious breakdown? I'd be grateful for your thoughts.
Also, would the router's service life be shortened if I left it on all the time day and night?
Many thanks,
Alex
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: Not connecting to Broadband on start up

Hi Alex,
Also, would the router's service life be shortened if I left it on all the time day and night?

It's actually the opposite.  The power supply on your router is actually better designed to being left on all the time.
I can't see anything obviously wrong with your connection.  It might be an idea to do a factory reset and then try reconfiguring it.  You can do that by pushing in the pin sized hole on the back for about 15-20 seconds, afterwhich you should be able to reconfigure the router and hopefully all will be well.
hamilton36
Grafter

Thank you for instant reply.  I think I will leave the router on all the time,  and, on past record, that fault will not recur, but if it does I will do the factory reset as you suggested.
Thanks again,
Alex
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Cap
Hi Alex,

It's actually the opposite.  The power supply on your router is actually better designed to being left on all the time.

Urban myth? Can you supply data to back this comment up? It would not surprise me that most AC adaptors (power supplies) used on routers are supplied by 3rd parties and are standard but badged.
James
Grafter

It's just a known fact.
I have seen many many BT managed install routers power supply packing up when they are rebooted.
itsme
Grafter

Power cycling or thermal stress failures are nearly always down to joint failures. Either the solder joint of the component to the pcb or the internal bonding of the silicon wafer to the ic legs. Both have effectively been eliminated in the last 10 to 20 years. If you have experienced large failures of power supplies, which I assume that they are external  AC adaptors, then I would suggest that these were down to poor manufacturing.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well my voyager 2110 has been on virtually all the time since 20/7/2006
Not applicable

This subject seems to be a bit of a hot potato. Personally, I am with Pierre - my Lynksys has been on 24/7 since I set it up 18 months ago - so far it hasn't let me down and the connection is very stable. I would rather use a few pen'orth  of leccy and maintain the status quo.