Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob Fibre Question

Jamaxx
Dabbler

Noob Fibre Question

Hi,
According to samknows and BT FTTC is being installed on our exchange on 1-06-12.
Am I correct to assume that once its live I can order fibre through plusnet rather than having to go back to BT?
Also how soon after this date can I expect the service to go live?
Apologies if this has been answered before but I couldn't find any info anywhere.
Cheers
16 REPLIES 16
houlton23
Grafter

Re: Noob Fibre Question

Quote from: Jamaxx
Am I correct to assume that once its live I can order fibre through plusnet rather than having to go back to BT?

Yes.
Quote from: Jamaxx
Also how soon after this date can I expect the service to go live?

Expect that date to be very (emphasis on very there) variable. Our FTTC date was originally Dec-11, then it changed to Sep-11, then back to Dec-11. They installed the cab itself end of september time. In December it was pushed to Mar-12, even though 8 of the 11 planned cabs were in and live by early January. I hear they had major delays with our 3 local cabs (kinda seperated from the other 8 ) because of blocked ducts, which they cleared last week. They installed the fibre itself yesterday so our journey could be nearly over. But who knows.
Moral of the story - Take BT's fibre dates with a reallllyyy small pinch of salt.
Alex Smiley
Jamaxx
Dabbler

Thanks Alex,
I figured as much with regards to the dates. Just that the chance to get away from 1.5meg BB is tantalizingly close...
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jamaxx,
The dates that tend to get moved are the ones at the end of March, June, September and December as these are place holders. So yours may be an actual date Smiley
As for your speed, I've just ran a line check and I wouldn't mind seeing if I could get a little more out of it. Can you tell me how your kit is set up? Are you using any extension cables/sockets at all?
Jojo Smiley
Jamaxx
Dabbler

Hi Jojo,
Fingers crossed then.
As for set up, yes I have got mine on an extension due to the location of the phone socket, which is right by our front door. We are quite a ways from the exchange (3.7km) and I think are phone lines are so old they are made of hemp but anything you can do to stop the kids hogging all the bandwidth when they are online shooting their mates would be great!  Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jamaxx,
I know it can be probably quite tricky, bearing in mind where your socket is, but extensions can be notorious when it comes to losing sync speed. Is there any way you can get the router situated at the main socket and use a long ethernet cable instead of a phone extension. That way the connection to the router is as short as possible, and the ethernet cable can then be as long as 100m (in theory). If you could do that, then I reckon we could improve things a bit.
Jojo Smiley
Jamaxx
Dabbler

Ok have now done that but no Internet access now.  Broadband light is flashing but Internet light is off
Edit: OK broadband back up now, just seemed to be taking a while. Shocked
Jamaxx
Dabbler

Hi Jo,
As discussed I have switched sides within the socket. Had the face off and its a right mess in there, looks about 30 years old. Not sure you'll be able to do anything from your end but good luck!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jamaxx,
The sync is a little better, so I've lifted your profile a bit, however, it does sound as though the old wiring isn't letting you get the best out of your connection.
Jojo Smiley
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Hi Jamaxx
Keep checking the "Change My Product" section on the Main Member page.  Up until the exchange is enabled all you will see is alternate ADSL products, but as  soon as the service goes live, an option for fibre will appear.  You can then place your order.  I was enabled and up and running within 2-3 days of the engineer visit, but it would have been on the same day except the router arrived late. 
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
Jamaxx
Dabbler

All looking good for June.
BT vans working the whole length of Leeds Road and there is a shiny new green box at the end of our road Smiley
Having been on Cable switching to ADSL was almost a deal breaker when buying our house. Can't wait to get a half decent connection again.
With two kids playing XBOX Live and SWMBO uploading photos to Facebook I'm the one lagging out all the time!
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Hi Jamaxx , do you mean Leeds Rd Bradford ?
i have had my posh new box across the road from my house since last oct, & BT still haven't connected it to the exchange , Undercliffe & every time i check the dates it moves further Away GRRRRRRRRRR
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Jamaxx
Dabbler

Sorry mate, Leeds Road Selby.
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

According to samknows and BT FTTC is being installed on our exchange on 1-06-12.

My exchange has been "enabled" for a long time. The only trouble is that the cabinet that my line is on isn't! So I wouldn't count on it.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

As usual this is the place to check http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine