cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOT Connected To GREEN CABINET At End of My Drive.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: NOT Connected To GREEN CABINET At End of My Drive.

When you opt for FTTC you telephone line still goes by wire all the way to the telephone exchange.  So if there is a pre-existing phone wire cabinet it is always paired with a new fibre cabinet which is installed close by.  Perhaps if a brand new cabinet is installed it combines both wire and fibre?  If so you would probably have to go with the suggestion of ordering a second phone line to swap to your local cabinet.
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: ReedRichards
Perhaps if a brand new cabinet is installed it combines both wire and fibre?
Sorry - nope.
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: Mark
Only way to get on to that cab would be to order a new phone line. Once installed you could move your existing FTTC service to that line and probably renumber the new line to your existing number. It'll cost and there's potential for things to go wrong.

A second line is normally supplied by using a spare pair in the first cable. So that wouldn't work. (OK, the cable from the house only goes to the first distribution point, but the feed to that is probably from the just one cabinet, and so on .... Even if a distribution point has two feeds, cross-connecting sounds hairy).
Even if a completely fresh cable from the PCP paired with the nearby FTTC cabinet could be obtained, migrating FTTC between two lines at the same address, served by two different cabinets, seems unlikely to be catered for in any of the ordering systems involved.
I'm not sure how feasible the renumbering (both lines) would be either.
Nightmare.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Estragon
Perhaps if a brand new cabinet is installed it combines both wire and fibre?
Sorry - nope.

Then it's not an FTTC cabinet despite what SarahCook62 was told.  What I was told (in a presentation given by BT to my local council) is that:

• Fibre cabinets make a little noise because there are cooling fans inside.

• They are always paired with a 'regular' wire cabinet which must be close by.

SarahCook62, I suggest that you compare what is outside your house with the cabinets a mile away to which you have been connected.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Have a look at some of the pictures here for comparison purposes: http://www.objectbase.co.uk/basingstoke/chineham/fttc/
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
itsme
Grafter

They are always paired with a 'regular' wire cabinet which must be close by.

Define close  Wink I've seen some fibre cabinets that are several 10's of metres apart and there is one that I still have not found the PCP it's paired with. All to do with where the fibre cabinet can pick up a mains supply. The fibre cabinet that I can not see the paired PCP is using a supply from Belisha Beacons.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: itsme
Define close  Wink

Within 30 metres, perhaps?  The broadband signal has to travel from the fibre cabinet to the 'PCP' and thence to your house down copper wires.  So if the two cabinets are far apart it starts to defeat the object.  And I presume the cost of the cable linking the two cabinets increases in proportion to their separation.
w23
Pro

'Mine' are nearly 50m apart!
The PCP is over a junction then along a fair bit (towards the exchange) from the FTTC cabinet.  I can't understand why they did this because the VDSL signal has to go back to the PCP  then the phone line travels back again past the FTTC cabinet.  Almost all the houses served by the cabinet are nearer the FTTC cabinet than the PCP so nearly everyone has nearly 100m added to the effective length of the VDSL line Crazy
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
G3YBO
Grafter

I have been on FTTC for quite a while now......When the engineer arrived I asked about the new cabinet at my house but across the road and he said that I was on one 50m down the
road......No way can I get on this nearer one as no line across road....They will not dig up a main road......Roger
Estragon
Rising Star

The distance used for planning is 50 cable metres or fewer, though up to some higher figure is allowed if a suitable site cannot be found.  I forget whether it was 80m or 100m in the reply I got.
Re cabinet pictures, here's a better link.
Boz
Rising Star

Quote from: sarahcook62
Well, the cabinet at the end of my drive is a new one, Well i say new but it has been their for a while. There is not another cabinet around it. The one we are apparently connected to is a good mile down the road and on a different street. I understand that the new one by our house was put in after the house etc, so we wouldent be connected to it, but im just wondering how i would go about seeing if we could be transferred or something along those lines.

Try this link to see what cabinet number shows for your address.
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/ADSLChecker.Ad...

Boz
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That link doesn't work for me.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mikko
Grafter

Doesn't work for me either Cry
w23
Pro

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/
Call me 'w23'
Boz
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv
That link doesn't work for me.

Apologies.  Try this one.
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput

Boz