cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOT Connected To GREEN CABINET At End of My Drive.

sarahcook62
Dabbler

NOT Connected To GREEN CABINET At End of My Drive.

Okay,
So, i had ordered the Fibre Optic Unlimited option and the engineer came round today and installed it. I would firstly like to say that everything went very smoothly and that it was the best experience i have ever had with an ISP. As the engineer was installing the stuff he needed, i was asking him about speeds. I told him that there is a Green Cabinet, literally on the end of my drive and assumed that when ordering the package, i would get able to get roughly the estimated speeds as i was so close. However, he in formed me that i was in fact connected to a cabinet that was about 1 mile away down the road.   Cry After connecting my router, i was then saddened to see that i was only obtaining 30Mps Down and 9Mps up instead of anything in the range of 80Mps down and 20Mps up. The Cabinet by my house is covered in "fibre optic is here stickers" so im assuming it can take it, Just dont understand why im not connected.
So i'm just wondering if anyone knows what they would do in my situation as obviously, i am going to need to have my connection moved into the green cabinet that's at the end of my drive to see any results  Undecided
32 REPLIES 32
CX
Grafter

Re: NOT Connected To GREEN CABINET At End of My Drive.

That's disappointing, but I think it's unlikely that you'd be able to get your line moved, short of paying for a new line to be put in.
It could be that your line was installed before the cabinet at the end of your drive ever existed. What does the BT Wholesale checker say you should be expecting? For comparison, check some of your neighbours with the "address checker" part (using the post-code and house number).
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
sarahcook62
Dabbler

Hi, thanks for the reply Smiley
Well i hope hope that it is in their best interest to help me and the surrounding houses get the faster speeds as people with pay for higher packages if they can reach them as the cabinet is a waste of time otherwise.
This is what it said "Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 67.6Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps."
dick:quote
kmilburn
Grafter

It depends on the little green cabinet, and who owns it.
If you have cable in the area, it's possible that it's a VM cabinet not a BT one.
sarahcook62
Dabbler

The cabinet is covered in BT stickers saying all about of fibre optic has now arrived so i am assuming that it is BT. Also we do see BT openreach engineers working on it every now and then. Smiley Some of them came this morning and seemed to have a look at it, but swiftly drove off to another location, so maybe even they thought that we were connected to that cabinet.
Estragon
Rising Star

What does this checker say about the cabinets for your postcode?
sarahcook62
Dabbler

"Service Type Probability Speed Increase Phase Cabinet
FTTC 5%     3.49 3 announced July 2009  Ready March 2010 P15
FTTC 94% 3.75 3 announced July 2009  Ready March 2010 P30"
sarahcook62
Dabbler

The above is a little hard to understand, but basically the second line is 1 cabinet and the 3rd line is another cabinet. The headings are a little off centered
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You should be able to find those cabinet numbers painted on the outside of the cabinets.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Fibre runs from your telephone exchange to a fibre cabinet.  That will have been installed recently and you can tell it is for fibre because you can hear the cooling fans whereas a regular phone cabinet is silent.  The fibre cabinet will be located close to a regular phone cabinet with a short link connecting one to the other.  Then the line to your house will run from the regular (old) phone cabinet.  So unless you have a green cabinet at the end of your drive and another green cabinet very close by and one of them is relatively new and makes noise then you may have to settle for what you have got.   
sarahcook62
Dabbler

Well, the cabinet at the end of my drive is a new one, Well i say new but it has been their for a while. There is not another cabinet around it. The one we are apparently connected to is a good mile down the road and on a different street. I understand that the new one by our house was put in after the house etc, so we wouldent be connected to it, but im just wondering how i would go about seeing if we could be transferred or something along those lines.
Mark
Grafter

Only way to get on to that cab would be to order a new phone line. Once installed you could move your existing FTTC service to that line and probably renumber the new line to your existing number. It'll cost and there's potential for things to go wrong.
Mark
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: sarahcook62
Well, the cabinet at the end of my drive is a new one, Well i say new but it has been their for a while.

Is it actually a FTTC cab? Just because they've put the stickers all over it doesn't mean it is!
If you get switched to that cap and it isn't an FTTC cab it could mean you can't get FTTC at all.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sarahcook62
Dabbler

Yes it does have FTTC. We asked an engineer this morning who we caught working on it and he said so 😕
sarahcook62
Dabbler

I hope something can be done, I am only getting 10mps down and 5mps up. It feels like im paying for Fibre optic and am getting 2Mps faster than we did with broadband over with talk talk 😕