cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem dropping out

weystoner

Modem dropping out

Apologies if this subject has been covered before, but my modem crashes virtually every day.  This is awkward for me as I use wireless a lot and have to wake up the computer and reboot the modem before I can start work.
I'm on Broadband Plus, which is subject to the 30 minute idle timeout rule, but I have been through the process of opting out.  At least I think I have - the instructions are far from clear (after you press the 'Activate' button, you are requested to press the 'Deactivate' button if you still want to proceed with the opt-out - what does it all mean?).  The modem/router is a Belkin 54g wireless jobbie wired to the main house computer  I have recently changed computer to one with Vista installed, which has corrupted the modem's home page a little, so I might have trouble changing the settings to stop the drop-outs, even if I knew what to change.
I'm also using a Squeezebox over a wireless comnnection, but I can't see that making any difference.
What's the most likely cause - Plusnet's idle timeout policy or some Vista compatibility issue?  Your help would be most appreciated.
Many thanks,
Dave
11 REPLIES 11
James
Grafter

Re: Modem dropping out

Hi Dave,
You've definitely got idle timeouts turned off.
I would recommend trying to use a different fuilter and/or modem/router if possible.  Also make sure that your router is plugged into your master socket via a filter.
These actions can help to reduce interference which could be the cuase of your disconnections.
briston
Aspiring Pro

Interesting this one as I also now find that virtually every morning I have to re-boot my modem/router. This causes inconvenience as the computers on the router get assigned different ip addresses and so the ports have to be changed. Without looking into it I thought that my modem/router was on the way out so may have to replace it. However recently I have noticed an increase in speed so my initial thoughts seem to be conflicting. The only link I can find is that recently I changed to Vista. Any further thoughts?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Why don't you assign static IP addresses and stop using the router's DHCP?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
briston
Aspiring Pro

Now this si where I show how little I know. I do have a static IP but the main problem for me is that I have to re-boot my modem/router.
paulby
Grafter

Changing to Vista should have no effect on your router.  
The drop-outs are far more likely to be caused by interference on your line or a faulty router.
The increase in speed may be due, in part, to Vista's better handling of the TCP/IP connection (assuming that you're talking throughput and not sync speed with the exchange).  You don't need to tweak Vista in the same way as you did Xp to get MTU and RWIN set up optimally.  In fact, you can't change RWIN in Vista (and it's a bit of a pain to change the MTU).
briston
Aspiring Pro

If the dropouts are caused by interference, why does it ot do this when the connection is being used? It only occures at night, when the connection is not being used. OK, up untill now it was just a pain but I wil have to take a closer look and solve it. Its a challenge - over to HAL and see what he says
'Dave ..................... we seem to have a problem .................... I do not think I can allow that'
James
Grafter

When you say at night, do you mean in the evenings or at silly hours?
If you're saying that it's happening in the evenings, this isn't uncommon.  Because more people will be using their phonelines at that time of day/night, there's more noise present on your telephone line, causing a poorer quality of signal, causing the connection to drop.
The suggestions I made earlier can help this though.
paulby
Grafter

Can you access the router logs and see what time the drop-out happens?
Does it coincide with central heating coming on in the morning, for example? (Old timers and central heating controls can cause large electrical spikes which can knock out your broadband connection)  Is there anything new in your property that could be causing interference?

briston
Aspiring Pro

Mine drops out sometime in the small hours when I am usually in sleepy bo bo's. Nothing in the house has changed and no heating etc comes on when the problem occures although i am not aure exactly when. I wil have a look at the logs, why did I not think of that? - just thought. A re-boot does not cure the problem, it has to be a complete power off.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: briston
Now this si where I show how little I know. I do have a static IP but the main problem for me is that I have to re-boot my modem/router.

You are getting mixed up with the IP assigned by Plusnet which is the WAN (internet) side of your router and the IP addresses on the LAN (your home network side).
On your router there will be settings for the LAN IP and DHCP configuration. This will give the range of addresses it can allocate. If your router is 192.168.0.1 this will probably be 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254. Change the end figure to 192.168.0.99
On each PC you can now go in to the Network Connections, properties of Local Area Connection, Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) properties and change from Obtain an IP address automatically to Use the following IP address. Assign each PC a different number starting with 192.168.0.100. You will need to enter a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and put your routers IP address as the Default gateway. You will also need to specify the DNS servers to use; you can use the router as a DNS server if you wish, or use the Plusnet DNS servers (if entering more than two you need to go in to advanced) which are 212.159.13.49, 212.159.13.50, 212.159.6.9, 212.159.6.10.*
Now your IP address of your PC's will stay the same when you reboot PC or router.
(In all the above addresses you may need to replace 192.168.0 with the first three parts of your router's address)
*Somebody is bound to chip in saying you should use the OpenDNS or other servers - but let's keep it simple to start with!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
briston
Aspiring Pro

Thanks jelv for the step by step instructions (on some things that is just what I need). I will certainly do as you suggest, it also prompted me to apply the latest firmware upgade to my modem/router.