cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency Graph

greshoff
Grafter

Re: Latency Graph

So does the gateway one is on affect the latency? If so how does one change the gateway? Is there anything else I could do to improve things?
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Soft disconnection on the router will get u to different gateway
greshoff
Grafter

Thanks again, Soft Disconnection? Is that powering off router and turning back on? if so  I think I should wait till my training period ends on Monday before doing this.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

No not a reboot or power off/on, doing those will make BTs system lower your IP profile and increase you SNR if you do them too often. Twice in an hour at most but only if you have to.
There are two parts to making a connection, syncing with the exchange and logging in.  It's the login/out aka PPP session that is safe to disconnect to get a new gateway multiple times.
If your router is PN supplied, at the Broadband Connection on the first page of its web interface you click Disconnect or Connect to safely get a new gateway and nothing else
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

If you are just activated, it could just be that your Plusnet profile is set higher than your BT profile.  This will mean our traffic management won't be yet protecting your experiencing, meaning you might see some latency on your graph when you are downloading a lot.  If you've just connected, give it a couple of days to complete the line training and for us to get a profile sent. Smiley
(Gateway won't have anything to do with it unless we have a specific issue)
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
greshoff
Grafter

My line went active about a week ago. Can you check if my  Plusnet profile is set higher than my BT profile & if so what can be done to improve things
greshoff
Grafter

Quote from: Gus

There are two parts to making a connection, syncing with the exchange and logging in.  It's the login/out aka PPP session that is safe to disconnect to get a new gateway multiple times.
If your router is PN supplied, at the Broadband Connection on the first page of its web interface you click Disconnect or Connect to safely get a new gateway and nothing else

I am using a Billion 7800DXL I will log into the router to see if I can find out where I  login/out of PPP session. I'll give this a try
greshoff
Grafter

Quote from: goldenfibre
Soft disconnection on the router will get u to different gateway

Will using a different gateway make a difference? Kelly seems to think it wont
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Until you have a complete day with no online and then compare graphs its impossible to say.  Switching gateways is usually down to them being congested so you see slow browsing speed /watching streams that stutter or worse dropping packets which makes an already slow connection worse.
So until I see constant red spikes on my TBB graph I won't gateway hop.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Gus: Like we said before we suspect you have some congestion within the wholesale network.  It's not gateway congestion.  I look at those graphs everyday and there is a very healthy amount of bronze level traffic in them!  Gateway congestion would mean the the bronze, and silver traffic would be being squeezed out.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: greshoff
My line went active about a week ago. Can you check if my  Plusnet profile is set higher than my BT profile & if so what can be done to improve things

Your profiles are aligned correctly, I've just checked.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

AndyH
Grafter

Those *-FK BRAS have been on AAISP's congestion page for a long long time (1 month+)
I usually check that list daily and they have been there for as long as I've been checking....
greshoff
Grafter

Thanks for checking Bob.
I have changed the gateway earlier on this afternoon and will post my graph tomorrow
dragon2611
Grafter

Quote from: KevinAndrews
This could be a wifi mobile device uploading photo or video.. this seems more intensive on the upload since the latest smart phones record in HD and create larger files and is most noticable on ADSL connections.

I believe iOS devices will update the Icloud backups if they're on WiFi and charging if Icloud is enabled, just a thought although going by the later posts it sounds like possible congestion somewhere in the BTW network.
Also did you remove your TBB test as i'm getting a not found error for the graphs
greshoff
Grafter

Sorry, I did remove the initial graph as this stopped working when I changed gateways as I am on a dynamic ip.
Here is my new graph since changing the gate way. Have not used the internet a great deal since changing the gateway.