Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue connecting blink system since changing to Plusnet

FIXED
PhilW888
Fixes: 1

Issue connecting blink system since changing to Plusnet

Hi all, I recently changed internet provide to plusnet. I have been able to successfully update connections to all my devices at home, apart from my blink home wireless camera system. It keeps saying the password for my wifi is wrong. I’ve tried everything, support from Blink is useless and they have said to ask my internet provider to add the MAC address of the blink sync module to their Whitelist of allowed sites. Plusnet say this is not possible. Note the MAC address is not a website. Anyone else had a similar issue? Thanks all.
12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 400

Re: Issue connecting blink system since changing to Plusnet

Its possible your Blink camera is 2.4ghz wifi only. The Plusnet Hub 2 uses the same SSID (wifi network name) for both 5ghz & 2.4ghz bands. Try disabling the 5ghz band temporarily using the Hub gui, connect the camera then re-enable the 5ghz band. That sometimes works. If it doesnt, then try changing the Wireless Mode from Mode 1 to Mode 2 or ebvn Mode 3. That improves compatibility with older/slower devices.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PhilW888

Hi MisterW and thank you for replying so quickly! Yes, I did try and disable the 5G but that alone didn’t work. I’ll try changing the wireless mode when I’m back home later.
PhilW888

Hi MisterW, thanks again. I tried changing the modes to all possible combos and none worked. I still had the same error- password incorrect. I am totally flummoxed!
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@PhilW888 

Have you tried a factory reset on the Blink device and set it up again from scratch?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

PhilW888

Yep. Tried resets for everything. Deleting and reinstalling the blink software etc…
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

@PhilW888 

You could try this

1) Turn the Hub Two wireless or switch off at the mains. This is to ensure all wireless signals are stopped
2) Using a mobile device create a 2.4GHz mobile hotspot that has the same SSID and password credentials as your Wi-Fi router.
3) Setup your smart device using the hotspot created above.
4) After the smart device is setup and is connecting shutdown your hotspot and turn your Hub wireless or device back on.

Hopefully this will resolve your issue

PhilW888

Thanks Dan the van. I tried to do this but have no idea how to use my iPhone (in this case) to set up a hot spot that mirrors my router. I can see how to change my phones name and password, but there isn’t any other controls to change the frequency to 2.4ghz etc.. if you could shed light on this I’ll give it a go.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

@PhilW888 

Sad to say for you I do use Apply products so I can not offer any assistance in enabling just 2.4GHz signal.

The option on my Android phone has been taken away to turn off 5 or 2.4GHz which is odd.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@PhilW888 I'm afraid I dont use Apple stuff either but these two links would seem to help.

The first describes how to setup the basic hotspot function and the second how to switch it between 2.4g & 5g

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/111785

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2020/11/04/iphone-personal-hotspot-wi-fi-bands-tutorial/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PhilW888

Fix
Thanks all. I finally managed to get it working after the Blink Support Team gave me something else to try, which involved a special reset to the Blink device.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

the Blink Support Team gave me something else to try, which involved a special reset to the Blink device. 

Could you expand a little more on that please ? we see a few instances of these type of devices not connecting and any explanation may be useful to others in the future.

PhilW888

Hi,

I followed these instructions. This finally prompted connection and a firmware update. I had to kinda repeat the process, as it ended up needing to be done twice:

1. Unplug the Sync Module and wait 30 seconds.

2. While unplugged, using a paperclip or similar item; press and hold the reset
button on the Sync Module.

3. Then plug it into power.

4. Continue holding the reset button until you see a flashing red light. Once
you see the flashing red, you can release the button.

5. Proceed to add the Sync Module.

Hope this helps others!
Phil