cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get a wifi booster in a shared wifi building

Fr_Qr

How to get a wifi booster in a shared wifi building

My building uses Plusnet full fiber and the speed works perfectly fine, but I'm in a studio apartment on the very last floor and there are a few walls between me and the closest extender, which means that from time to time the wifi fully drops and stops working. This might also be due to too many people in the building using it at the same time.

Obviously, I'm not in charge of the Plusnet account as it's all in the landlord's name, and I can't go and make changes to the position of routers in the building. I asked my landlord about possible boosters but they claim they don't know anything about it.

Is there a booster or extender that I can plug into my room to circumvent this issue? There are also no ethernet sockets so it would have to be wireless.

3 REPLIES 3
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: How to get a wifi booster in a shared wifi building

A tricky one!

A word with the landlord might make progress. Alternatively a friendly neighbour might allow you to plug an extender in their apartment to get a bit closer to the signal,

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@Fr_Qr 

Have you asked if you could install a phone line and therefore get your own internet service?

Brian

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

@bmc wrote:

@Fr_Qr 

Have you asked if you could install a phone line ?

Brian

Like many things in life today, a potential extra cost issue