cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long for BT to raise profile

jorvikmik
Grafter

How long for BT to raise profile

We had a BT radio link fault that shut our neighbourhood down for a couple of days. It is now working again but everyone including BT customers have had there profiles dropped to 500kbps. Bt engineer checked my line for me with his gear at the BT link 100 mtres away and got 7.6mb.
Just wondered how long it takes BT to increase the profile.
Mike
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: How long for BT to raise profile

3 to 4 days  Sad
jorvikmik
Grafter

Thanks Jim - that's fine
Mike
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: jorvikmik
It is now working again but everyone including BT customers have had there profiles dropped to 500kbps.

What's your sync speed now?
prichardson
Grafter

I just have to query.
What was the exact symptoms of the radio link problem on your and your neighbours connections?
From the basic description, this is not included. However as a radio link failure, one would assume this means your exchange utilises data backhaul via radio, rather than traditional fibre based network.
If this is the case, then you should not be having a profile issue full stop, as the profile is intrinsic of the syncronisation speed/stability of the DSL layer.
If however the radio link failure, be this for backhaul or not, created problems such as cross talk on connections, making connections unstable for all, thus syncronisation speeds problems, then this may be an issue.
The time is takes for profiles to increase depends on the time the line dropped for.
Very short drops of say 2 hours, will see an increase in around 4 hours. The longer the drop, the longer the retrain. This means upto 5 days.
jorvikmik
Grafter

The island has a microwave linked exchange directly into the mainland exchange and carries just 6 broadband customers. The fault was an optical card which left us with a dsl connection but no internet. The engineer replaced the card and all was well apart from everybody's profile had dropped to 500kbps, mine from normally 7,000. The BT engineer checked my line in the local exchange and he got 7.6mb on his laptop. I am just over 100 metres from the exchange and normally get around 6.6 to 7.1MB. I am currently getting 487kbps download
I added the results to the open question re the total failure yesterday but have recieved no reply - should I close the 'no internet' question and open another one?
Thanks Mike
James
Grafter

Hi Mike,
You should get a speed increase within about 3 days, so hopefully you should see one by the 24th.
I've replied to your ticket saying the same thing.