cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fluctuating SN Ratio

keano1

Fluctuating SN Ratio

After having very slow broadband over the last few years, I decided to purchase a new I Plate, 15m shielded cable and filter and connected my adsl line from the master socket.
It took nearly 10 days to see an improvement and the speed went from about 0.3mg to 3mg which I'm really happy about. However, I have noticed the SN keeps on fluctuating between a rate of 13 and 8 and although the sync speed is now at 6200k, Im still stuck around 3mg.
Does anyone know if this is normal and if so will the line speed increase in line with the Sync rate and secondly could the issue be related to the router not beeing able to hold a steady rate on the line. By the way I have a Thomson TG585 v7.
Regards
Lee
4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fluctuating SN Ratio

It looks like there have been a few disconnections over the course of the past week which could be accounting for the drop in sync speed. That should really mean that a higher SNR should hold things down but it doesn't seem to be.
I'd advise that you raise a fault.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
keano1

Adam,
Thanks for the update. Before raising a fault, i have switched off the router a couple of times in the last week and I was wondering if this could account for the disconnections (reason being I dont like leaving it switched on as it gets quite warm) . Can you please confirm if this is the case?
rodtrotter
Grafter

If you going to turn off your router use the router software interface to disconnect first if you just switch it off it will make it look like its dropped connection
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

It could be, in that case (althought it's up to you) it may be worth leaving things as they are for now without powering the router off so I can monitor to see if the line remains stable.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team