Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAO James et all

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Re: FAO James et all

Quote from: Jameseh
Using DMT will override that being set by BT.

Are you sure? last time I tried this on IPS Max it didn't like it at all! (reverted to 15dB SNMR). Worked on Tiscali LLU tho.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: mapletree
I'm not looking for routers that are compatible with DMT tool. 

Apologies, I assumed you were going to use the DMT tool to set the margin. I'd guess the answer is the same though, because AIUI the DMT tool uses the existing telnet commands that are available on the router. I don't know of any that allow this to be set from the main interface.
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Try a Netgear DG 834GT. I use one (ex SKY on e-Bay) with the DG Team firmware. The SNR adjustment survives a router reboot.
I have mine set to about 60%. That way if the router reboots during the night (lightning, power glitch etc) - when noise levels are highest, it gets a sync speed >6300 and preserves my 5500 Bras profile.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Have a read of these http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv7.htm & http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv8.htm for which version of DMT will work with which modem-router, but as has been mentioned, if you can/know how to telnet your router interface the appropriate command, you can do it that way. Unless you are a "techie" person, I would stick to DMT.
There are some minor downsides/cautions when using DMT (yes it does over-ride BT's setting).
The Target SNRM slider is marked in %, the BT Target is obviously at 100%. If you want to increase your margin, move the slider towards the 300%, to decrease it, move towards 10% - the lowest you can go, so if you have a 15dB Target (the highest set by BT), the best you can achieve is 9.8dB, a [3+2.2]dB change. (50% is a 3dB change).
Now, the downsides etc.
If you have a power drop and loss of sync. you will revert back to BT's target on a resync. so your profile may change unless you catch the drop quick enough and get re-synced at the speed you want.
If you re-sync at too fast a speed for your line conditions, you may get lots of errors. If the error rate is high, the exchange DLM will not automatically reduce your Target even with no re-syncs over a sustained period.
Some modem-routers remember the DMT setting if a drop in sync occurs which isn't due to a power down or reset of the modem-router, this may be a problem if it occurs at the wrong time of day for your line conditions.
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

"If you have a power drop and loss of sync. you will revert back to BT's target on a resync. so your profile may change unless you catch the drop quick enough and get re-synced at the speed you want."
So if I am reading this correctly, what the DMT tool is actually doing is overriding the SNRM for the current session only and not actually changing the true BT-set target? If that's the case it's probably better to wait for the system to catch up and make its own adjustments.
mapletree
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Have a read of these http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv7.htm & http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv8.htm for which version of DMT will work with which modem-router, but as has been mentioned, if you can/know how to telnet your router interface the appropriate command, you can do it that way. Unless you are a "techie" person, I would stick to DMT.

I'd seen these web pages.  However, I was not certain that all routers supported by DMT tool would allow setting the target margin.  Before I bought another router I wanted to make sure.  I have bought a Netgear from ebay so I'll try this when it arrives.
Now, the downsides etc.
If you re-sync at too fast a speed for your line conditions, you may get lots of errors. If the error rate is high, the exchange DLM will not automatically reduce your Target even with no re-syncs over a sustained period.

I've never seen my target margin lowered, except by manual intervention.  I don't think I am risking much here. Wink
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How do you find the command to reset the noise margin - I have a Dlink and DMT works for me?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

puddy
Grafter

Choose special >misc options> and put a tick in Unlock experimental area.
I got my sn to drop from 15.5 to 13.5
For speedtouch routers this wont work with newer firmware loaded on the router. 
It works for me my firmware 6.1.7.2

puddy
dick:quote
VileReynard
Hero

Sorry - I know how to unlock DMT - I really wanted to know how to get the telnet commands it sends.
My problem is that I can't get DMT to run on Linux, so it would be easier to issue the commands directly.

mapletree
Grafter

Doesn't it say in your router manual?
VileReynard
Hero

It's like all home router manuals.
It's just got pretty pictures showing where to plug the wires in.

mapletree
Grafter

Is there not a more detailed manual available for download?
mal0z
Grafter

To save us searching through the thread which router ?
VileReynard
Hero

Sorry!
It's a Dlink Product: DSL-2640B
I have done some more googling (is that a verb?) Smiley Dlink say:-
Your selected product has been discontinued. To download and view support material for this product, please click on the following link:  DSL-2640B

Router-Lite is able to interpret the stats and draw graphs if I say it's a DSL-2740B
This also only has docs on the web interface (which looks identical) - but at least it's not been declared dead yet.
No CLI details though... Sad

mapletree
Grafter

You can download the source code for the firmware though Wink