Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL Broadband stuck on slow speed: 3244kbps

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: DSL Broadband stuck on slow speed: 3244kbps

@Slither3249 You do still have a problem - your D/S noise margin is still much too high.

It is possible a DLM reset may correct it, but I personally would still get an engineer to carry out checks.

John
Slither3249
Dabbler

It's my normal SNR. Back in september, I had 38171kbps at 8.3db. My broadband package has a lower speed than the maximum I can get, so I'll probably get higher SNR as a result.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

If you say so.

John
ClaudiaG23
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 23

@Slither3249  we can get the appointment booked for you, the time slots are between 8am and 1pm or between 1pm and 6pm, I've got no options for after 3pm. These appointments are Monday to Friday. Could you confirm what date and time you'd like the engineer visit please?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Claudia Garner
 Plusnet Help Team
Slither3249
Dabbler

I'm still pondering the engineer thing. I just want to rule out that the noise is from my own cabling.

Here's a graph of SNR today at 6:05pm to 6:29pm:

2023y12m18d 18h29m - DSLLog - disconnects.png

Shaky, isn't it. Disconnects happened at negative SNR. During which, I did not hear any noise on the phone. No faint background noise either.

But I have the modem connected to a long line. Could that be the cause? I've now moved the phone to the end of this long line to find out. Unlikely though, I had this same problem on an exterior extension line.

My best guess is just the usual damp problem but that should cause noise on the phone, right? Else, it could be a DSL infrastructure.problem. A previous engineer visit did switch to a "second line".

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

But I have the modem connected to a long line

when you say long, how long ? 

and what type of cable ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Slither3249
Dabbler

Just a telephone extension cable. Pretty long. 10m? 20m? It has a DSL plug on one end (which I can plug into a filter or convert to a telephone plug), and a telephone socket on the other.

I may have to cut out this long line to really be sure if it's a cause. But I would be on unreliable wireless and wouldn't have my SNR logging.

Another cause I sometimes wonder about is electrical interference, but the disconnects can happen at any time of day.

*Connection has been stable since those disconnects today.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

Just a telephone extension cable. Pretty long. 10m? 20m? 

Oh dear, that's what I suspected, not good for a dsl connection. It's likely poor quality, not screened or twisted pair and has all four cores connected. This means that the ring wire will be acting like a big aerial and picking up all sorts of electrical interference.

You really need to try and eliminate that as a cause of the problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Slither3249
Dabbler

Well, I doubt it's the cause, any more than the exterior cable. But as I'll need to eliminate it anyway, I might as well do it now.

Slither3249
Dabbler

Okay, now the modem is connected as close as possible to the master socket. Stock cable and spare ADSL filter. Either I'll report another disconnect, or you won't hear from me for a while.

Quite an inconvenient setup though. Can't access the modem's admin interface easily.

*Oh, I can access the admin interface. I didn't know that was possible over wireless.

*Noteworthy increase in upload speed:

Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 21-09-55 Plusnet Hub Manager - Information for Helpdesk agents.png

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Slither3249   by looking at your Max Data rates you can see how much your extension cable is slowing your broadband.

It will take a while for the data rates to improve as DLM gets used to your new conditions.

There may be other improvements to come, but keep it stable, and see how things go.

Slither3249
Dabbler

Maybe... or maybe it's a coincidence. I've seen these speeds and the SNR on the engineer-installed exterior line too, and I had the same kind of random disconnects. I'll just have to keep an eye on things for a month or so.

If it is long lines, either the exterior cable or the telephone extension cable, then what do I do? Are there better DSL extension cables? Or should I use a LAN extension? I could get a better wi-fi setup, but I don't want to just hope that I get my full speed with a better wi-fi card.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Slither3249  yes and the earth is flat!

No maybe's - facts are facts.

Slither3249
Dabbler

What are you talking about. This long line was a temporary measure. I wasn't always on it. I have had random disconnects throughout the year. I know my line better than you.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

@Slither3249 

Looking at the Hub One Helpdesk images you have posted

First image                                                               Last image

Screenshot 2023-12-19 074657.png          Screenshot 2023-12-19 074729.png

What has to be realised is the Line and Signal attenuation reading is the total distance from your Hub to the exchange green cabinet with the extension cable not being used it is obvious where the looses are occurring. The data readings are much improved with an increase of speed. I believe the reason for lose on extension cables has already been explained on a previous post.

Have you considered using Routerstats to monitor the Hub http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/RouterStatsHub/routerstatshub.htm 

If you take up using routerstats set the graph plotting to sample every ten seconds with 720 points per page.

Depending on your property mains power cabling it might be possible to use Powerline adapters to extend the wired LAN. The speed across the powerline network is like to be faster than a wireless speed at distance.

HTH