cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed

Geetarman

Broadband Speed

Sorry folks yet another speed/set up query?!
I've just moved to BYW opt 2 and have get the following router stats:
Statistics              Downstream Upstream 
Line Rate            2912 Kbps    448 Kbps 
Noise Margin      11.7 dB          19.0 dB 
Line Attenuation 55.0 dB          31.0 dB 
Output Power    18.1 dBm        11.9 dBm
The plus.net speed checker shows me at  1000.5 kps, while the broadbandchoices.co.uk shows me at 700kps
The speedtester.bt.com doesn't seem to be working for me today but it did show I should be able to see around 2000kps but was getting 800kps.
Any ideas if I can do anything to increase this?
I'm plugged directly into the main phone socket which has a filtered face plate, running a Voyager 2110 wireless connection.
Cheers all.
4 REPLIES 4
Geetarman

Re: Broadband Speed

Just unplugged wire 8 from my main socket as I read only 2 & 5 are needed these days so now getting the following from my router:
Statistics              Downstream  Upstream 
Line Rate            3136 Kbps      448 Kbps 
Noise Margin      12.3 dB            20.0 dB 
Line Attenuation 55.0 dB            31.0 dB 
Output Power    18.5 dBm        11.9 dBm
Noise margins seem to have gone up (doubt this is good ???) but the downstream line rate has increase?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Please could you check and post your High-Speed Broadband value from the portal here.
This should be 2000kbps or hopefully 2500kbps if you've synced above 2848kbps for at least 3 days.
Secondly, if you are using Windows XP or earlier have you tweaked RWIN (and MTU)?  Video help is available here.
Also have you checked for other devices (neighbours) using the same wireless channel?  Trying the discrete channels 1, 6 and 11 might improve wireless throughput if that is a problem.
Since you've just re-synced it looks like your target noise margin is 12dB.  Normally that would indicate the exchange monitoring equipment regards your line to be unstable.  What variation in noise margin do you experience through the day (when it's dark particularly)?  If sync speed drops at night due to lower noise margin that will cause your IP Profile and High-Speed Broadband setting (which mirrors BT's IP Profile) to drop in sympathy.
Edit: There is also the possible impact from network problems this morning, see Service Status here.
David
Geetarman

Cheers for the reply,
I'm not overly techy when it comes to this so bear with me!
Synch speed is now showing as 2500kps (having  previously been 1000kps) which must be good!
I'm in the process of checking the rest I'll let you know what I find out!
Thanks again!
Hustler85
Dabbler

Am I righting in thinking that plusnet speed test gives throughput speeds as does broadbandchoices.co.uk or so I believe.
Your router and bt speed tester give sync speeds.
The fact you got your sync speed up is good news. Would also recommend tweaking RWIN. Look into DrTCP if you do have XP.