cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost a day and I still haven't been connected to the internet.

yalini1978
Dabbler

Almost a day and I still haven't been connected to the internet.

Basically what the title says, its been a day since i activated the fibre broadband without phone package, and my hub two router still seems to be flashing orange, with no internet connection. I called Plusnet, and they said that it is connected and everything had been done.

I have two BT box lines in my house, is that the problem? 
Like the wrong line has been used?
If so how do I change it?

Or is the no connection some other problem?
Plusnet support said that they will do remote testing and check for any problems but its been quite a while since then, and I am looking for any way to solve this.

25 REPLIES 25
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 407

Re: Almost a day and I still haven't been connected to the internet.

I have two BT box lines in my house, is that the problem? 
Like the wrong line has been used?

@yalini1978 have you tried connecting the router to either line ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

yalini1978
Dabbler

The problem is that I won't be able to connect it to the other box, as I am currently living in a shared household, and the second box is in another tenant's room.

Is it possible to contact plusnet and tell them to change the box?

@MisterW 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Is it possible to contact plusnet and tell them to change the box?

Did you inform them, when you ordered, that there was two lines ?

IF its the wrong line, they will need to get Openreach to make the connection to the other line. It's not going to be quick though, it will depend on availability of engineers in your area.

The problem is that I won't be able to connect it to the other box, as I am currently living in a shared household, and the second box is in another tenant's room.

Actually, thinking about it a bit more, is there actually two telephone lines or is it just that the master socket is in the other room and yours is a slave socket ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@yalini1978 

I've just spent some time looking into this for you. 

At present we can't report a fault with our supplier due to a system issue that's preventing us from running tests on your connection. 

I've raised it with the right team to get fixed and have added more details onto your account here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=241617658

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
yalini1978
Dabbler

Actually, thinking about it a bit more, is there actually two telephone lines or is it just that the master socket is in the other room and yours is a slave socket ?

Whats the difference between a master and a slave socket?

IF its the wrong line, they will need to get Openreach to make the connection to the other line. It's not going to be quick though, it will depend on availability of engineers in your area.

Oh hell, I wanted to get the broadband as fast as I can due to some work I had to do.
@MisterW 

yalini1978
Dabbler

Can I just know what this means @adamwalker?
And is there any estimate as to how long it would take to fix this?image.png

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Whats the difference between a master and a slave socket?

the master socket is connected directly to the incoming telephone line and often has two sockets , one for DSL (internet)and the other for a phone. A slave socket is connected to the master socket with normal internal phone cable and only has a phone connection.

yalini1978
Dabbler

@MisterW this is what it looks like

Is this a master socket or a slave socket? 

Thanks in advance
20240511_163101.jpg

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I cant be absolutely certain but I would suggest that's a slave.

It only has one phone socket and the wire coming up from the floor is the internal type cable.

If I'm right, and that's the case that socket is connected internally to a master socket somewhere else, then there's a pretty good chance that its connected to the filtered side of the master socket and you wont be able to use that for an internet connection without some changes to the internal wiring.

yalini1978
Dabbler

@MisterW Then I assume I either connect to the master socket (which i won't be able to connect to) or wait for an engineer to come and install a new BT socket in my room right?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

or wait for an engineer to come and install a new BT socket in my room right?

If it is an internal wiring problem, then its the responsibility of the owner. Openreach will not extend any internal wiring. They will move the master socket on request but there is a significant charge for it.

@adamwalker before we go too far down this route. Can you determine from the Openreach data whether there is one or two lines into the building ?

yalini1978
Dabbler

@MisterW I tried waiting till midnight and connecting to the master socket after getting permission.
But still no network, so im assuming its nothing to do with the sockets, probably some error on plusnet's side.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I tried waiting till midnight and connecting to the master socket

Was it a dual socket type ? and did you connect to the DSL port or the phone port ?

yalini1978
Dabbler

Was it a dual socket type ? and did you connect to the DSL port or the phone port ?

@MisterW, it was a single socket type, and I connected the filter to it, and connected the adsl modem port on the filter to the router.