cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Speed is lower....

cuke2u
Grafter

Re: ADSL Speed is lower....

Hi, thanks for both of your replies, I'm at work today but I will do as you've requested when I get back home. Thing is when interleaving was initially turned off my Link speed went back to normal...
Cheers,
Chris
cuke2u
Grafter

Hi, here is my stats:
Downstream Rate: 7776 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PVC Connection   
  Encapsulation: RFC 2364 PPPoA
Multiplexing: VC
QoS: UBR
PCR: 
SCR: 
Autodetect: Disable
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Enable: 1
PVC Status: Up

From the downstream rate it has gone even lower than last night, I never had this before. I'm only a few hundred metres from the exchange and my phone line is clear...

Cheers,
Chris
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Ah, need to see the Attenuations, Noise Margins and preferably powers as well, and of course, as Bob asked, any error figures.
cuke2u
Grafter

Hi, ok will do tonight...
Chris
cuke2u
Grafter

Hi, here are my full stats:
--- System Information ---
Vendor: Linksys
ModelName: WAG320N
Firmware Version: 1.00.08 , 2009-08-27T19:37:13
Boot Version: 1.06
Hardware Version: 0.01
--- DSL Information ---
DSL Driver Version:  AnnexA version - A2pB023k.d21d
DSL VPI/VCI:        0/38
DSL Status:          Showtime
DSL Mode:            G.DMT
DSL Channel:       
DSL Upstream Rate:  448 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 8000 Kbps
                      Down        up   
DSL Noise Margin:    9.0 dB      24.0 dB
DSL Attenuation:    20.0 dB      9.0 dB
DSL Transmit Power:  19.8 dBm    12.1 dBm
Chris

Anotherone
Champion

Well there's no reason why you shouldn't sync at full speed all the time unless there's a lot of noise or intermittent connection somewhere. Something obviously caused the lower sync events before, just keep an ear on that line on a regular basis for any crackles or other intermittent noises.
Other thoughts, you haven't bought any new electrical equipment recently, or turned anything on you don't normally use? Or even next door neighbours likewise, or no nasty two stroke moped things been hanging around outside etc. Oh well, just thoughts.
cuke2u
Grafter

Hi and thanks for your reply, the only thing thats been changed is the router, although the link speed was the same with the old one. The reason we changed was because the wireless stopped issuing IP's, then the internet kept not connecting, then the wired network also stopped issuing IP's as well. In the end I got fedup with having to constantly reboot the thing to get it to operate, second D-Link that's done that and I won't be getting them again. The new one works just fine.
I have installed a HTPC recently, connected by wireless so I don't think it's that, beside it's off when I'm doing my router checks. My phone line is as clear as a bell but we do have those pesky 2-stroke thingys racing up and down the road all of the time. Personally I blame them for everything, including the bad weather. Thus it won't take much more of an excuse before I string something cable'ish across the road, only kidding...
Cheers,
Chris
Anotherone
Champion

Grin Grin Grin
How about a stinger Wink
cuke2u
Grafter

Hi, good idea, that'll also slow down the idiot in the silver vw golf as well that seems to think the road outside my house is part of his own privtate race track. Anyway, back to my issue, it seems to have got stuck at this:
Downstream Rate: 7808 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps
I think plusnet should sort it out, and quickly please, seeing as I have been at 8100 for years...
Chris
Anotherone
Champion

Just to check, you are presumably switching your modem/router off when not in use?
The sync speed will only go to 8128 if interleaving is turned off. You should still have a profile of 6500 at the moment.
If you aren't switching your modem/router off then you've had a sync drop (unless you rebooted for some reason!).
Edit: correct profile figure, incorrect value previously.
cuke2u
Grafter

Hi, thanks but Mon through to Fri I only use the internet in the evenings, thus the router is turned off all day. Once again this evening my download is well below what I'd expect it to be

If this keeps on I'm out as the lack of a response or advice from +net is really begining to hack me off...
Chris
Anotherone
Champion

You should check your BT profile by running the BT Speedtester - http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
and check your PN one at the member centre - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed to make sure it matches and they are both 6500 as it won't be any higher with that last sync speed you posted on the 28th (I've corrected my post by the way, I quoted the wrong figure  Embarrassed ).
What's bugging me is why you are getting these erratic connection speeds everytime you connect - this is not something that's controlled by PN, this is down to your equipment/wiring, the line to the exchange and the linecard at the exchange.
Have you had a listen to your phone line recently for any crackling or other intermittent noises? Dial a 1 to get rid of the dial tone. If you need more time before the NUT (number unobtainable tone) dial the quiet line test 17070 option 2. (Don't use any ringback or other test). Who is your Telephone Line Rental provider?
Could you give an Outline description of your installation -
1) Do you have an NTE5 Master LineBox (the type with the removeable lower front plate) and which logo it has on it.?
2) Whether you have any fixed extension wiring and sockets & how many, and roughly how the cables go from one to another;
3) What filters do you have and where is the Modem/Router plugged in?
4) Do you have a corded phone, do you have a cordless phone - if so what type - DECT or Analogue?
5) Is any other POTS (plain old telephone service) equipment (Faxes, Answer phones, Sky boxes or Alarms systems etc) plugged in/connected?