cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A weird occurrence this evening...

adnydrum
Hooked

A weird occurrence this evening...

At approximately 7:10 pm, my tv informed me it had lost it's wifi connection. A quick glance at the router showed it flashing orange and apparently rebooting itself. When blue returned and wifi connection was re-established I continued pottering about on the laptop. I had had a Facebook session running before the outage and went back to it. On refreshing the browser (not FB app) I was presented with a splash page asking me to either take out a paid Meta subscription or agree to various uses of personal data to continue free usage. I have never seen this before. Suspicious, I checked the Hub Manager and - strangely -   the broadband session had not reset to 00 hours, and data xmitted/recvd reflected previous period of connection. It was as if there had been no outage. I performed a manual router restart, and this time the log had reset to zero hours as had the data traffic amounts. Returning to the browser and refreshing, Facebook reappeared without the Meta subscription wall. Very odd. Was this some kind of attack against Plusnet? I read that the subscription thing is for EU and EEA member countries, so presumably should not apply to the UK as we are no longer an EU entity. Does anyone have any ideas or similar experience? Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: A weird occurrence this evening...

@adnydrum 

Did you happen to notice what your external IP address was previously, after the "Meta subscription page" appeared after the connection loss, and subsequently after you did the manual reset?

I'm just wondering if the middle one geolocated you outside the UK?

It might not be a good idea to post the full IP addresses, but you can look them up here:

https://www.iplocation.net/

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 407

quick glance at the router showed it flashing orange and apparently rebooting itself

@adnydrum flashing orange is not a reboot ,it's just a DSL resynch.  This may well have caused a different IP to be allocated but it won't have reset the data transmitted/received stats.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 78

@MisterW 

From memory the Hub Two does reset the up and download usage.

Where the Hub One doesn't 

However the usage against each device in My Network does not reset

adnydrum
Hooked

That sounds like the most likely explanation, however why the (temporarily) allocated I/P address should appear to be of EU origin is beyond me.

adnydrum
Hooked

I'm still on Hub One - had Hub Two on the shelf for a few months and haven't got around to it yet. Whenever I've restarted Hub One in the past the clock and sent/received figures have always been reset.

adnydrum
Hooked

@MisterW thanks; what initiates a resync?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 78

@adnydrum 

if you restart/reboot a Hub One then the usage figures will be reset, a DSL disconnect shouldn't reset the usage figures

Can you check the event log to see if there is a watchdog timeout event for the time the Hub displayed a flashing orange light.

A watchdog timeout would cause the hub to reboot and be an indication of a possible Hub failure.

DSL resync usually occure during the night after 00:00