cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Slow Portal

Be3G
Grafter

Re: Slow Slow Portal

Perhaps, but you also need to bear in mind that blue line if you're correct about what it shows. When you consider that your screenshot shows just under 500KB of downloading and it's not even reached the blue bar yet, what that means is that someone on, say, a 1Mb connection will have to wait over four seconds before they see anything. I'm not blaming that for the problems being reported here, but I suspect that in cases it's adding to the perception that the Plusnet website is slow to load, particularly for first time visitors who won't have anything cached.
Anyway, as it happens, shortly after you posted that message I thought I'd go and check the portal for something. My browser's now been sitting at 'Contacting portal.plus.net" for 10 (!) minutes without doing anything, although no doubt if I were to hit refresh it'd load in a few seconds.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Yeah,  two issues here I think.  We know the website is larger than it should be, and isn't as nippy as it should be, but what loombucket is reporting, and what  you are just seeing smells like something else entirely.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Kelly,
Time to load https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection is 14.221 secs (no cache) This is from the bottom of the page source
<!-- I1BsQXdqvZt6W1%2Fgwp9BUA%3D%3D -->
The odd thing is that the maximum download speed is only about 0.6Mbps - see picture - whereas my IPprofile is 3500kbps
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
the front page is nearly half a megabyte in size - which probably isn't helping the issue for people who're on slow connections.

I well remember when we were looking for Broadband ISP's and using a dial up line - trying to get information from the PN website was a nightmare.
Some other ISP's sites were much faster to load, at least a basic sales page. The only reason we persevered  with PN is because we had broadband at home.
So why not have a few very low graphic pages - with a prominent link on the home page - just for people signing up on dial up lines, or even very slow ADSL lines.
I'm not sure of the stats on people still on these sort of lines - but out in rural areas there must be quite a large number of such lines.
stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I dont think Plusnet are much bothered about people with slow lines a long way from the exchange. for my own part , I have trouble replying to the ticket line at the moment, the speed tester is a problem to get at, and there is a long wait on the phone ,My line speeds have halved in two years, but this seems to work O.K as does my E mail.
glloyd
Rising Star

Well I don't have a slow line (12 Meg) and it still takes a month to sundays to load pages.
stathe
Rising Star

They may not be bothered about  the few anyway, can anyone tell me a large organisation that is these days?Huh
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi guys,
Are these slow portal issues still happening at all? It seems to be running well at the moment from both home and work.
@stathe what makes you say we 'aren't much bothered' about people with long lines'? I can see that your fault is with BT at the moment, but 12mb on 21CN definitely isn't a long line. I'll give it a kick nontheless. Sorry for the hassle.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection
about 9 secs - average of two tests with no cache
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

10.5 seconds average here Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
glloyd
Rising Star

First conection this morning to the members page 15 seconds
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

First connection to the BBC site < 3 seconds - and it appears to be a much more complex site.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

stathe
Rising Star

Thanks Obrey, perhaps you may think about us longline boys sometimes , my fault has been with you for some three weeks and my main gripe is that  a year or so back I connected at well over 1200 sometimes 1500 and downloaded at speeds around 1000 now it is a problem to stay connected  at a resonable speed I think to-day it is 135 (much better than the old 50). A selection of friendly people reply to my tickets telling me the same thing .I do have a long line and I know there is a problem and would like it sorted . "The portal for raise a ticket " is very slow for me, my fresh  2 wire router tells me there is a supicous input noise and something wrong with uncancelled echo, I have tried various face plates and filters. I have only one B.T socket. If anything else breaks here be it technical or mechanical indoors or out I can  get it fixed quickly,why not this, but I am not looking forward to being told  that I am too far from the exchange , when it can be done if the right person deals with it
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

When reporting times, are you returning the time taken for the page to complete loading, or until the page is visible?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Oldjim
Resting Legend

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection
Time to complete but the difference is minimal - note that I am running Adblock Plus and that probably stops some of the rubbish