cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585v7 forgets my lan connections when "New Stations Are Not Allowed" is set.

Agent47
Grafter

Re: TG585v7 forgets my lan connections when "New Stations Are Not Allowed" is set.

Thanks to MisterW for this very informative link http://www.leenukes.co.uk/?p=71
I tried one of the hints to solve my problem of losing wireless connection when setting security to 'via registration ' by WPS, only to find when I pressed the button on the front of the router, nothing happens. No flashing button LED, nothing ???.
I've told Plusnet this on the still open ticket, and asked if I have a faulty router. hopefully it could be the source of all my router woes :).
(Probably  not. :()
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: TG585v7 forgets my lan connections when "New Stations Are Not Allowed" is set.

the reset button is a small pin hole, near the power socket on the rear, dont think the front button does anything. Cool
mal0z
Grafter

The front button turns the wifi on and off - needs to pushed for several seconds
puddy
Grafter

On my speedtouch router you need to change the setting in wireless access point to
new station are allowed (via registration)
if you want to add wireless devices just push button on the front of the router or put the router in search for wireless devices mode if the button been disabled
if you use new stations (automatically)
Anybody can add a device without pushing the front button on your router if they have the correct ssid and password
If you use no new stations are allowed
your locking out all wireless connection devices

Using new station are allowed (via registration) means that nobody can access your wireless network unless they come to your house and press the button on your router to gain access
puddy
James
Grafter

I'm not sure whether or not it is turned on by default - but there's definitely a setting in the firmware to turn it on.
The next question, no doubt will be how, which I don't have an answer on yet Smiley
I'll try having a dig around and see what I can find.
Agent47
Grafter

Plusnet are treating me rather poorly over these issues I have raised recently over the purchase of the TG585v7 router. Each question I put to them has been dismissed, no matter how complex or simple, with a reply of  "we don't know, we don't have to find the answers for you, so ask Thomson for help"(paraphrased quote).
I have been a customer of Plusnet for many years now, and held them in high regard, even through the spam email fiasco of 2007, but I've never had anything go wrong that would test their customer service; now I have had to use those services I have found them severely wanting.
Plusnet told me they have not heard of that problem with the button before and to, again, seek advice from Thomson over the matter, as I have their manufactures warranty.
Yeah right, and to hell with my consumer rights with the vendor.
If the router is faulty I will send the router back to Plusnet, and no one else.
All that said, I can switch off the wi-fi with the button, even if it does not light up. So it could just be the LED which is faulty.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I think that Mal could be wrong as he has a new unit and software on test,  I got mine in January and we were clearly told at that time "The button doesnt work with this application"
James
Grafter

Apologies - My error.
The WPS button does not currently function and will not do so until the v8 firmware has been released.
We don't currently have a date for an expected release.
mal0z
Grafter

I'm fairly sure that the firmware version I had originally ( six months plus ago ) did actually allow the front button to toggle wifi on or off ! .
I'll put old firmware back on and test tomorrow.
I only just  found outabout the feature Puddy describes  Roll_eyes
I'll take a laptop home and have a play with these features.
I agree it's time the features of the TG585 are more fully documented her on community - but Thomson don't seem to make things easy ! ?.

Agent47
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh

The WPS button does not currently function and will not do so until the v8 firmware has been released.

It's strange how the instructions on how to use it appear in the v7 pdf manual, page 22.???
It still doesn't help with the security problem of not being able lockout unregistered MAC addresses of War-drivers and nosy neighbours if they can hack through your WPA or WEP.
Agent47
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
I'm fairly sure that the firmware version I had originally ( six months plus ago ) did actually allow the front button to toggle wifi on or off !

I, also, can switch the Wi-Fi off/on with the button on the front of the router. That's not of any real concern; what is is how do you make your wi-fi network secure via WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) or manually. I've ask Thomson this, and other questions, and, as yet, I have not had a reply from them (not holding my breathe in anticipation).
mal0z
Grafter

I have WPA2 enabled - and turn off wifi when I'm not using it.
Agent47
Grafter

And un-ticking the 'Broadcast Network Name' box on the Wireless Access Point page would also help.
mal0z
Grafter

Plenty of information on the web about wifi security, but this is a start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi#Network_security
Agent47
Grafter

Hummm... Interesting. I suppose a serious hacker,  with all the tools, could just walk right in to your WiFi network in a matter of minutes, no matter what security you put in place >:(.
But still, you have to try, like those heroes in action movies that throw furniture in the way of the chasing bad guys, to put people off having a go.
Car thieves don't generally steal locked and secured cars, not when there are plenty of unsecured cars around.
Another analogy: you can't out race a hungry lion, just be faster than the other guy.
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]