cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Use RouterStats?

Mav
Fixes: 516

How to Use RouterStats?

Mods... Please move this if it is in the wrong forum.
I have setup RouterStats as per instructions but am not getting any sensible readout:
Downstream Noise Margin and Sync is constantly on zero
Upstream N/M constantly 17/Sync constantly just under 5kbps
This is with both 5.0c & 5.1c. I have set the correct URL for the 585v7 stats page and that has tested OK.
Have set admin as both user ID and password.
What have I missed in my setup or what else needs to be down.
Thanks

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

18 REPLIES 18
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: How to Use RouterStats?

HI Mav,
I say this was the right forum. Anyway I've attached snapshots of 3 of the graph setting pages which I'd recommend.
You need to click on the Configure Icon on the top LHS. Then on the Graphs Tab. Then -
On the Common Settings tab I suggest "Use dots for grid", Sample every 8 seconds, 900 points per page (2hrs), Ramp mode.
On the Capture Properties tab I suggest Capture Graphs - tick Rx Noise Margin, Rx Sync Speed, Rx Attenuation. You should not need any of the Tx/Up graphs captured unless you are seeing problems there.
Name the folder where you want your logs and graphs to be saved (I suggest its own folder where ever you wish) Date/Time format as default & 'Do not append' left unticked.
In the schedule box tick 'Always' and ' Capture additional graphs when RouterStats closes' and 'Unless there are less than 20 points plotted', untick the others.
In the Overlay box 'current Rx Sync Speed' and 'Current Rx Noise Margin' are the handiest.
On the Extras tab only the Plot average Rx noise margin should need ticking.
In the Captured Image Size box, all the 'Applies to' can remain unticked.
On the Y-axis Limits & Colours tab, choose manual settings to suit the ranges you think you'll likely see rather than leave it automatic which gives too course a view generally (note I've used -1db as the lowest Rx  Noise setting). Leave colours as default.
A little more to come.
Anotherone
Champion

Back on the main tabs - Router Search Text tab - select use Source A or B as recommended for the particular router (bottom RHS) then click Get Page (top RHS) then click on the 'Test' button. If any values don't show up as expected you will need to select them as per the instructions, also define your User-def 1 & 2. I've set User-def 1 as Atten Down & 2 as Atten Up. For some reason when defining the Up Atten I had to highlight the whole line not just the value.
Once you've applied and saved all that, you can go back to the main page.
To start it all click on the Green 'Play' Icon.
There's a couple more things you can tweak, but see how you go with this lot.
Anotherone
Champion

Back on the main configuration Icon -
On the System tab - I've got 'Minimize to system tray'., 'Show Rx Noise value on Icons' and 'Prompt before closing' selected (non of the others) and on the RHS just 'Show alarm tab...' and Show system message tab...' selected.
On the Log tab - File Format - tick the 3 boxes and select CSV and define the folder and filename (suggest same folder as the graphs).
- On Schedule & Options - I've got log every sample & log IP address only.
Back on the main window - Alarm Tab - Alarm actions first of all - ONLY 'Audible Alarm' selected
On Alarm Configuration tab I've got 'Log alarms in normal log file' selected.
The Alarm Set Points tab - well choose your own ranges to suit your expected normal (I've got my Noise margin below set to 5dB) I've left the default 60secs. and the Rx Noise Margin increased and decreased at 50% & 20% for 20 samples.
I think that's it. Come back if you have any queries.
Mav
Fixes: 516

Thanks.
I've read through thoroughly twice to understand and then set about making the changes as necessary.
Few things I still don't get - sorry to be thick here Wink
As I haven't got TX Noise and TX sync ticked why is there a graph for these being drawn? (Albeit TX noise is showing zero but TX sync is showing just under 1000 (actual sync is 973).
RX Noise is fluctuating but RX sync is static on 1000 (currently synced at 5152). I must be doing/setting something wrong.
RouterStats crashed and on re-running it seems to have rectified the graph issue.
I will leave it running overnight (if the PC fans don't desturbed me too much!).
I have no idea yet how to fully decipher the results but I am sure, once posted, those knowledgable (inc your kind self) here will give me the heads up Smiley
Thanks for the great set of instructions - I really appreciate the time taken Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anotherone
Champion

I presume you are refering to the 'Capture' setting not being ticked for the Tx graphs - they still get plotted, the capture is the automatic saving to your defined folder every 2hrs. with the settings I suggested. I suggest you add ALL the Tx ones for the time being as there may be issues. (Just keep an eye on disk space being used - it's not large anyway).
You may need to double check that the figures are being correctly selected from the 'Router Search Text' tab. Use the Test button to check out any changes you make. THe Tx figures should be the Upstream and the Rx figures are the Downstream.
Check the ranges you've defined on the Graphs/Y-axis tab - based on figures you have reported, for starters I'd suggest 3000 - 8000 for the Rx Sync,  -1 to 12db for the Rx Noise, 44-50 for the Rx atten. For Tx Sync 300 - 1200, Tx Atten 24 - 28 , Tx Noise Margin 0 - 25.
On the graphs themselves, you'll notice a little tick box bottom LH corner indicating the plotting, and a green camera symbol on those selected for capture.
HTH.
Santiago
Grafter

Chris, Thanks for posting that, it was very helpful
Anotherone
Champion

Glad you found it of use Santiago, hope others may as well. Only need to remember to set up the Login and Router Search Text that is specific to the particular Router. RouterStats web pages give guidelines on that.
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Chris,
An excellent exposition, nowhere have I found anything like it!
I have just got 5.0b installed and can look forward to using it with more confidence.
Thanks a lot.
colintivy :)) :))
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Chris,
Following on my last, I got on quite well but got stuck at the Get Page part. Did not get much help from John at RouterStats, perhaps you can better. I am using Plus.net Voyager 210 which I believe to be similar to 2100 apart from being wired. Everything sets up as you recommended but I can only get the page headings and no data. I have checked the router directly using the same URL and all looks to be present. Selecting Source A does not achieve anything, Source B just crashes the program!  Any ideas?
I note that playing with the router there is sometimes a demand for a Username and Password. Where can I find or specify these?
I have now downloaded RS 5.2b which, apart from a change to a heading, does just the same!!
colintivy
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Colin,
I must go to John's site and give him the info for the 210 to include in his help pages.
Try url to router 'stats' page as - http://192.168.1.1/infodsl2.html ;   - and tick use source A.
The Default 210 Username/password is admin admin. You really should change the password for security reasons.
If you are still having difficulty I'll see if I can post you a copy of the config file but I won't be able to do it until Fri night or w/e.
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Chris,
Thanks for that.
Some success! I have finally got to the Stats Page but only static text, no figures. Tried Source A and Get Page but only a blank green screen appears. It must be the Java or whatever that John is not hopeful about. Note that the URLs for the data only differ slightly,  "infodsl" gives only the Line Rate to Output Power boxes whereas "infodsl2" carries on to the System Frames etc., that follow.(including the numbers!!). I have tried both directly, both should insert the data and do not. I hope that it is not a terminal problem. RouterStats Lite, of course appears to work OK but a very limited value output.
colintivy
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Colin, what version of RS are you running? It works with 4.9a. I tried 5.0b and it didn't work, but I've not had chance to try a later version yet to see what happens. Will try and do that in the next 24 hrs. See if you can download 4.9a and try, ah but hang on are you running a *nix OS, that may make a difference?
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Chris,
See post #9. I have been on 5.0b and am now on 5.2b. It is puzzling that some data figures are transferred properly when using "infodsl2" and not the ones that matter! Is there any way of examining the raw data straight off the Router to see what the difference is? I do not have the experience to do this. I do not think that earlier RS's can be downloaded now. Cant see that the OS is significant, I am on Hardy.
colin Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

The only reason I mentioned OS, is there may have been some interfacing issue with the way the program was running under a non-window situation.
I mentioned in reply #2
For some reason when defining the Up Atten I had to highlight the whole line not just the value.

Try checking that out with other values, you may not need the whole line, may need to include the quotes or the = as well.
I'll see if I can post the config file later.