Did you mean: 

Can someone please help

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Can someone please help

Is your son on Plusnet?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dadnarg
Dabbler

Jelv.
Yes, my son is with Plusnet.
I have tried my sons ID and password on my PC and almost immediately the speed shot up to 600KB/s. He tried my ID and password on his PC and it wouldn't go above 60KB/s.
This could only mean one thing. There was a restriction on my account with thundernews.com.
I contacted them immediately and they still said there was no restriction on my account and I should try changing ports and also try their other server. They told me the same thing a week ago.
I did this again but could not connect using any option they gave me.
I have been in contact with them most of the day but their support is about as good as a chocolate fireguard.
I was so stressed out that I lost patience with them and cancelled my account.
I have since signed up with giganews and on initial connection at 2.30pm my download speed went in excess of 470KB/s. I left newsleecher running for 15 mins and the speed fluctuated between 200 and 400 which is not bad considering it's now 3pm.  I'm going to try again in the early hours of tomorrow and see what speed I get.
Giganews is going to cost me about £4 more per month but I've got a 3 day trial with 10GB max download to see if it's suitable before I start paying.
I feel really bad as I was sure it was Plusnet who were at fault. I'll send an apology to them somehow.
I'd like to thank you very much for the suggestions and assistance you have given me throughout this period.
Cheers.
Dennis
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You might want to have a look at Astraweb as well. Their retention is now up to 115 days.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dadnarg
Dabbler

Thanks Jelv.  I'll give it a look.
James
Grafter

Hmm.  I'm fairly sure that it's not restriction related.
When I got back from the boxing on Sunday morning at ~6am (nothing like 22 hours of being awake) I set off a few downloads to test off peak speeds on Premier and I was getting line rate.
It is possible that it is exchange related, but I generally wouldn't expect to see slowdowns at that time of the morning.
dadnarg
Dabbler

Jameseh...
It was thundernews who were at fault although they continued to deny it.  I booted them into touch yesterday and signed up with Giganews.  This morning at 3am, Lo and behold the speed I got was 740KB/s.  I have apologised to all the Plusnet staff on the closing of my ticket for any inconvenience I may have caused.  Thanks.
Dennis
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thanks for letting us know Dennis, good to hear you got to the root of the problem.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.