cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SquirrelMail : Do you dig it?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: SquirrelMail : Do you dig it? (Part 2)

University College London use Squirrel mail for all student access to their email. Works fine.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Ianwild
Grafter

Based on the feedback so far there are no plans to change the software, except to implement the changes we accepted from the original version of this thread where those were plugin based - We need to be able to keep up to date with any developments, so hacking the code in this regard is a bit of a no no. We are finalising the schedule for next years development at the moment, so hopefully I can give you an indication of when we might be able to do that. We're still open to suggestions as well.
Personally, I use a combination of solutions, but as someone else said, Gmail for my needs is best (I use the pop3 collector to bring together my email from a load of different mail accounts from various providers). I'm pleased we've not done a Sky here (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/broadband/news/141468/skys-gmail-migration-nightmare.html) but I do think Gmail is a decent option and not one I would discourage people from if they are happy with the deal Gmail give and the inherant privacy issues that exist.
Ian
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Remote
why when I report spam does it not go to the spam box?

The solution I found to this was as follows.
1. Empty your Spam folder.
2. Got to your Inbox. select 'Show All' & mark all the spam.
3. Move it to your Spam folder.
4. Go to your Spam folder, select 'Show All', 'Toggle All' then flag as Spam.
5. Empty your Spam folder & you are ready to start again at step 2 when required.
That way you only have to select the individual messages once.
Remote

Thanks - that makes perfect sense - I'll do that next time.
AndyFOL

I checked back through the last half of the 20 page thread and didn't see any mention of this, but thought I had better mention it... But it appears that not all of the web servers are running the same SM code. Sometimes when I use SM I will receive the standard "Toggle All" link.  However, on other occasions, the relevant link says "Select All". If it were just cosmetic, then I wouldn't mind but whereas "Toggle All" is very speedy, "Select All" variants of the page are noticeably slower, taking several seconds just to select a single page of 15 messages. Similarly, if you delete those message, when the page redraws, you will find that the newly visible messages are automatically selected - with Toggle All, it behaves as I would expect (i.e. after deleting a page of messages, the newly loaded messages are not selected).
Aside from the slight difference in functionality, I'm more concerned about the fact that what I imagine is a series of load balanced web servers seem to be running code that isn't consistent across the cluster. I'd also wonder perhaps what other things might be different on the underside.
Is this something PN are aware of?
gbarden

Comment on PlusNet Webmail.
Is there an easy way to really delete mail rather than having to go via the trash folder and delete it again?
At the moment I'm going through the Spam folder, showing all, toggling all and deleting - only to have to repeat these steps in the Trash folder to finally clear them out of the mailbox: seems pointless.
Speaking of Spam, there seems to be another upsurge in junk getting through - comments from PN?
No squirrels were harmed in the making of this reply!
Not applicable

To bypass Trash, go to Options/Folder Preferences and select Trash Folder [Do Not Use Trash] from the drop-down list.
You need to be sure that the messages are unwanted as there is no second chance.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have deleted the emails from the inbox, in the left hand panel click Check mail. You will then find that beside Trash you have (Purge) - click that and it's all gone.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I thought I'd better add my 2p's worth as I've been following this thread since the start.
Squirrel Mail is fine, simple, quick, appears to do what it says on the tin. Options to change skins, HTML etc. so no problems there. The most irritating thing is if one has to use the Spam button, the mails are not moved to the Spam folder automatically. The only more minor gripes is where one is using a catch all mailbox, SM does not have an option to add a "To" column. I've sort of got round this problem by using highlighting. Reasons for wanting this are that if one receives a mail from someone you don't know, it's nice to know which e-mail address it was sent to before one contemplates opening it! And it would also be nice to be able to Import an Address book (CSV format)
The previous @mail solution(!) was a pain. Too slow to download, even when one selected the Simple browser option, which one had to re-do every time you logged in. When using a dial up connection, as I am, speed is vital. If you want something really fancy, then I say use a client and pop your mail. It seems that a good 50% of respondants on this thread use dial-up, either all the time or when away from home/base. I believe that this roughly mirror's PN's customer base, so stick with SM.
A spell checker would be nice, and only having to use the CAPTCHA once a session of say 10 mails if not on a PN connection would also be nice, but considering some ISPs don't allow 'pop' or send unless you are on their connection, I don't think users with free accounts should moan too loud about it.
Some recent comments about G-mail, I can only assume users that find it OK are on Broadband. I use it, although only for testing, and it takes forever to load, worse than @mail ever was Roll_eyes .
Never experienced the "Select All", always had "Toggle All".
WRT comments on deleting mail, one strange thing I've noticed as I don't generally purge the Trash can, or always empty the Spam folder, it disappears by itself after a while! Perhaps someone from PN can explain this phenomenon as I can't find an explanation.
Finally, but not really an SM issue (is there a more appropriate thread?) is this SPAM. Seems to have got worse again during November. A while ago, it got to very low levels, the SPAM filter seemed to catch everything. it even stopped for a few weeks, was the Spammer(s) on holiday  Roll_eyes . Now it's almost at previous levels with stuff occasionally getting to the Inbox.
LAdrain
Dabbler

Does the Spam button work?
I have been flagging up a daily message for the last 4 weeks as spam, but nothing appears to have happened and each day I am still receiving email from this annoying company.  There email address is always the same and they are sending it to the same email address each day.
I was hoping that it would move these into the spam folder automatically or at least put the word [SPAM] in the subject.  Have I got this wrong?
Both my Sent and Spam folders are always empty, it can take anytime between 2 and 5 minutes to open these folders.
I also agree that it is a pain to flag the spam, then move it.  It should be one operation.

AndyFOL

Quote from: Anotherone
Never experienced the "Select All", always had "Toggle All".
WRT comments on deleting mail, one strange thing I've noticed as I don't generally purge the Trash can, or always empty the Spam folder, it disappears by itself after a while! Perhaps someone from PN can explain this phenomenon as I can't find an explanation.

I should point out that it's not a frequent thing - I'm mostly seeing the Toggle option, but I have definitely seen the Select All version within the last few days.
As for the disappearing messages, I wonder if trash and/or spam only keeps messages for 30 days or something like that, or empties when you log out? I assume that is what it is, as most webmail things do that but I don't know for sure, to be honest.
I definitely want it to change so that - if you use the spam folder, and mark messages as spam - messages are moved to the spam folder automatically. I'd also like it so that if you don't use automatic spam filtering (I prefer to do this myself as I generally download my emails and don't want most of them stuck on the server because they're not in my inbox as it initially was, and I use spam filtering on my end that I know is reliable) that messages marked as spam are chucked into the trash folder after reporting the messages.
Simon_M
Grafter

Revised edition of an earlier post I made (see page 1 of this thread).
Quote from: Remote
why when I report spam does it not go to the spam box?

The solution I found to this was as follows.
1. Check your Spam folder for false positives.
2. Empty your Spam folder.
3. Got to your Inbox. select 'Show All' & mark all the spam.
4. Move it to your Spam folder.
5. Go to your Spam folder, select 'Show All', 'Toggle All' then flag as Spam.
6. Empty your Spam folder & you are ready to start again when required.
That way you only have to select the individual messages once.
evansweb

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but there doesn't seem to be an option on Squirrel Mail to change (horrible) Courrier New font in messages.
It's quite possible it's there and I've missed it, but I've been through all the options and couldn't find.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think that is because the text is simply displayed as <pre>...</pre> 
You would have to change the font used for displaying <pre> within your browser I think.

Edit: Sorry about the format of this post - it keeps interpreting the tags Sad
Edit: Inserted line break so as not to break forum layout
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

having marked a load of stuff as spam and clicked the SPAM button, I went and looked in sent mail and found all this spam!  Is there any chance that when I report SPAM it doesn't save a copy in the sent folder?  PS would also be nice if it could move the SPAM to the spam folder or delete it.