cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Plusnet insist on telephone contact when they already know I'm deaf?

peter349
Dabbler

Re: Why does Plusnet insist on telephone contact when they already know I'm deaf?

It's 8pm now.
Plusnet have had their chance to respond and to clarify -ie to help me as they would have helped a hearing person on the phone.
I think I've been treated quite poorly.
I'll be taking some advice.
Thanks again Plusnet for nothing.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Why does Plusnet insist on telephone contact when they already know I'm deaf?

Plusnet wouldn't have spoken to you about your father's account if you were able to hear.  They've made this quite clear and, in this respect, you have not been discriminated against.
The fact that they do not have a method where someone, with the permission of the account holder, is able to address all matters regarding an account is perhaps discriminatory.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

plusnet have given you their response, they did response and they did clarify - you didn't like the response though.
whilst i agree there should be an email option for ALL customers (not just a select few), they have clearly told you why YOU can't do anything as YOU are not the account holder.
whether you think you have been given authority or not is here-say, as they have stated you do not have authority to make such a change on the account.
there is no discrimination here, as the account holder is not being discriminated against.
not sure who you'll be taking advice from though, you're not a plusnet customer.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Guys, you are forgetting something here: the line about only talking to the account holder about contract matters is [Censored]!
They were perfectly happy to sign his father up and start taking his money without speaking to the account holder. If that was wrong then perhaps Plusnet should return all the money they have falsely taken from his father's account.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: spoon
Guys, you are forgetting something here: the line about only talking to the account holder about contract matters is [Censored]!

maybe so, but they say that's the rules.
They were perfectly happy to sign his father up and start taking his money without speaking to the account holder. If that was wrong then perhaps Plusnet should return all the money they have falsely taken from his father's account.

they never spoke to me when i signed up to plusnet, it was all done online.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Funny how when it's a new customer to start paying them money it's OK but when it's an existing customer who is on an old package or out of contract and therefore paying more than needed they make it as difficult as possible. I wonder why that is?
If they actually cared they'd recognise the difficulties of the situation and find a way to help the customer. Instead they put on their Jobsworth caps and are totally inflexible.
@peter349 you can cancel the account without involving your father. Just sign up to transfer the services on the address/telephone number to a new provider. Plusnet will send a message saying that they've received notification you are moving away and if you don't respond to that to cancel the transfer, in two weeks it will go through.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: pwatson
Plusnet wouldn't have spoken to you about your father's account if you were able to hear
As I pointed out above, I've dealt with many financial organisations, with inevitably stricter security processes, that would start (and continue) a "on behalf of" conversation with a third party. In my case by phone, but they (PlusNet) have a legal duty under the DDA to do that by means appropriate to a deaf person.
So, PlusNet, how do your deaf customers communicate with you regarding account issues?

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Just for a laugh, I tried Jess....
Your question: I am deaf. I want to talk about my account.

If you want to speak to our Support Team, you can do so by calling 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200. If this isn't what you're looking for, please reword your question so I can help you.
I typed: I AM DEAF
No response.......
So I tried again:
Your question: how do deaf people communicate with you?

I understand you're looking for information about disabilities, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Please reword your question so I can help you.
AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!
bicyclz
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

In my innocence I tried earlier tonight asking 'Jess' a question too....
But it's a robot. Not the appealing girl who appears on the page info line, in order to suggest that a human being is going to answer/respond.
It's just part of the modern way of deceiving people.
Or customers in this case.
I wouldn't want to have a disability dealing with this crew.....
Bad enough being 'normal'.
peter349
Dabbler

Okay, so I'm out of contract and *must* use the phone to discuss my renewal even though I'm deaf - the live chat help (always) out of action when I come across it.
So I steel up some nerve to phone - dail the number - go through the long menu options - to be told it's a 15 minute wait.
Why would I wait 15 minutes to give you my custom?
I'm now checking out BT offers.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@CRT,
Having read the whole of this thread, it all sounds like "The computer says NO!".
I suggest that this distils down to
1. The account holder is not comfortable / able to deal with the contractual process and wishes their son (an authorised name on the account) to do so
2. The son is profoundly deaf and not able to use the phone interface to communicate, even if PlusNet were to allow the son to act on behalf of his father
Some questions...
1. At what point does PlusNet recognise that aged persons reach a point where dealing with suppliers is more that they feel able to handle and wish for some previously authorised person to act on their behalf?
2. If the son had power of attorney over his fathers affairs, how would PlusNet recognise that and allow the authorised person to act on behalf of the principle?
3. What services does PlusNet offer to enable deaf persons to use their services?
I saw a reference to Text-Relay / Type-Talk services - I recall not so long ago a long running thread of another deaf user having extreme difficulty using that service due to the unreasonably long time it takes to get the call connected to the CSC.  The Text-Relay / Type-Talk service operators have a limited length of time that they can wait for the calling party to answer.  What is being done to better support deaf persons access to PlusNet's services... There are a multitude of threads on this subject -
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75593.0.html/
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135887.0.html/
http://community.plus.net/blog/2011/08/03/plusnet-launches-freephone-support-number/ - see customer question and answer "Sometimes field calls" could imply there is no clear practice
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135886.0.html/ - seems here that PlusNet did allow another to act on behalf of a deaf person (Jan 2015)
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=146130.0
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,87796.0.html/ - can this matter be dealt with by FAX or letter?
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136196.0.html/
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,130295.0.html/
Quote from: MelRocks
Being an authorised user allows most things, but contract discussions and engineer booking are things reserved to the account holder. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Sorry Mel, (I know you are just the messenger) but this answer is simply not good enough!  It is not a new problem, it remains a barrier for people to access PlusNet's services and is thereby a contravention of the DDA.  What are the company's plans to address this please?  In action seems to be leading to users deciding to leave - even if there is no proof that the grass is greener elsewhere...
Quote from: peter349
I'm now checking out BT offers.

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adagio
Grafter

You can enter in to a contract on your father's behalf, but you can't subsequently make changes to start a new contract to save your Dad some money.

The same happened with me in the setting up of my sister-in-law's account. Now they won't talk to me. There are a variety of posts of mine on the subject.
I have been with PN for over 7 years, the service is good and the price reasonable but am seriously considering leaving just out of spite Angry
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Some time next year there is a distinct possibility that my daughter will be moving to a supported living placement and need an internet connection. Payment would be made by Direct Debit from her own bank account but I would be doing all the account administration as she has learning difficulties and a speech impediment - there is absolutely no way in a million years she could do it herself.
We will not be using Plusnet!
adagio
Grafter

I suspect Plusnet may be guilty of Indirect Discrimination
http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/your-rights/equal-rights/your-rights-under-equality-act-2010#situ
"Indirect discrimination
This can happen when an organisation puts a rule or a policy or a way of doing things in place which has a worse impact on someone with a protected characteristic than someone without one. For example a local authority is planning to redevelop some of its housing. It decides to hold consultation events in the evening. Many of the female residents complain that they cannot attend these meetings because of childcare responsibilities. "
MS, from which my s-i-l suffers, is automatically a protected characteristic.
I would like to hear PN's view on this.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Having read this thread I can agree there is a reasonable case for complaint regarding disabilty discrimination.  Why not take this up with one of the consumer affairs pages in the weekend newspapers? They are very good at assisting consumers - with or without disabilties- in resolving issues, largely due to the potential negative publicity that such storires will receive in print (and on line)
Or approach one of the BBC's consumer affairs programmes? Perhaps Watchdog, You and Yours, could be interested.