Madasafish Closing 15th December 2015

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Madasafish Closing 15th December 2015

Just seen this

Important information - closure notice of Madasafish from 15th December 2015
As you may know, Madasafish was bought by Plusnet back in 2007. Over the last eight years you've benefited from our award-winning customer service and now we also want to make sure you're getting the best value for money and access to our latest products and packages. That's why we've made the decision to close Madasafish and give you, our valued customer, an easy no hassle option to transfer your service to Plusnet.
Plusnet is an award-winning broadband provider with a range of products like unlimited broadband, super-fast fibre, phone and YouView TV from Plusnet*. See our list of awards at www.plus.net/awards.
What happens next?
Please call us on 0800 731 7508 to talk through what's on offer and start your move to Plusnet today. If you use your Madasafish email address, we strongly recommend you contact us as soon as possible, as from 15th December you will no longer be able to use your Madasafish service^.

Best wishes,
David Leather
Chief Operating Officer, Plusnet

That email is lacking any great detail , i would have expected a link to an faq or similar
Are you also sending out letters to all customer affected ?
What happens to customers phone and broadband who do not contact you?
I assume no one will be able to continue to use their Madasafish email beyond this date, even if the customer has a free or mail only account ?
I assume anyone that is in contract will have this removed?
What a time to shut down a service near Christmas , i can already see the chaos that this will cause .
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

168 REPLIES 168
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Madasafish Closing 15th December 2015

There should be something from Plusnet in the Announcements forum for this. Why the need to close madasafish.com email addresses? Freeserve addresses still work over a decade after it closed!
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Just got of the phone ,
q:what if the customer does not contact you
a: phone/broadband will be cut off
q: Are you sending letters out
a: No just emails
I am shocked and bewildered , on something THIS IMPORTANT no letters are been sent to customers
As Masdasfish as been going such a long time
customers email address my not be up to date
may go to spam folder.
miss the email amongst the other emails
do not read their emails
It ridiculous and shocking that PN feel only an email is needed when a customers services could cease with out them knowing !!!
You really are sinking to a new low , good customer service is keeping customers informed about important changes , using the best means of contact , in my view email alone is not sufficient ( in this instance), you are more likely to miss an email than a letter 
I can see out now , customer rings up , phone and broadband is not working , you have been cut off, i have had no letter, we did email, we can not be bothered to send a letter , but we would send you a cashback  cheque through the post if you sign up to PN
Why is no letter been sent out ?
The stress this could cause a customer ( especially near Xmas) because PN are penny pinching , that's the only reason i can think
PN are you going to use logic and send letters out ?
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

KevinG
Rising Star

It is crazy, I know for a fact that my father-in-law, whose Madasafish account I kind of look after, would have taken no notice of this email. They need to send out letters at least two months before closure to all customers that have not already made contact and migrated to Plusnet.
pwatson
Rising Star

I have a Madasafish 'just mail' account for my old Totalise address - Am I about to lose it?
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

@spoon whittler why do you think the number is wrong ?
The number given in the email is correct ( 0800 731 7508 ) , and is for this purpose only , as announced by the automated message when you ring it
@pwatson, i was told if you have a just mail or generic account ( with active Madasafish email and are a PN customer) email should continue as normal  
Regards
Mike

KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: I
@pwatson, i was told if you have a just mail or generic account ( with active email and are a PN customer) email should continue as normal  

What about a Madasafish subscriber, who uses a madasafish.com email address, but migrates to Plusnet (as they will have to unless they go somewhere else)?
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

I would assume if the Madasfish customers moves to PN they can keep the Madasafish email by downgrading the Madasafish account to generic.
That's what has been done to customers i have moved in the past.
Isn't it double standards, PN tell customers they can not terminate via email , but yet think it's perfectly reasonable for them to do so !
Kind regards
Mike

pwatson
Rising Star

I'm no longer a PN customer though... I'm guessing/hoping that I can keep the Just Mail account active and pay PN at renewal time.
I've only kept the Totalise account going to maintain a separate email for the technical and administration contacts for my domains. Perhaps now is the time to review this...
Of course I could just assume that nothing changes as I haven't received the notification!
KevinG
Rising Star

I would assume if the Madasfish customers moves to PN they can keep the Madasafish email by downgrading the Madasafish account to generic.

You'd hope so, but there won't be such a thing as a Madasafish account to downgrade to!
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

This is all part of Plusnet`s "award winning customer service"...... No  ?  Shocked
Steve76
Dabbler

I guess I will have to contact them too.
I was automatically moved from globalnet to madasafish and use the old globalnet email address for just about everything. Would be a nightmare to try and switch everything to a different email address  Sad
I would have thought that, depending on packages and prices, they would have just given the option of automatically moving to the plusnet equivalent while keeping email addresses. I know this would be slightly cheaper for me as I am on a broadband only and madasafish didn't have the unlimited download option. If I can't keep the old email address then I'll probably just switch to a different provider completely and just bite the bullet on trying to change all my contact email addresses on the sites I use.
KevinG
Rising Star

This is exactly why I bought my own domain name years ago and have used it exclusively for email addresses for a very long time.
avatastic
Grafter

Just got of the phone ,
q:what if the customer does not contact you
a: phone/broadband will be cut off

And will probably charge them £30 as a broadband cease has been raised.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
jontysoper
Grafter

Hi,
I'm a MAAF customer and received this email today.  The first pass didn't really register but after rubbing my eyes and reading a second time the shock began.  A very swift, blunt and unhelpful communication about a very big change.  Not impressed.
I was moved over to MAAF having joined at the very, very beginning as a Freenetname customer.  So I have a domain and web-space that I'm very concerned about.  Apart from calling what is no doubt a sales number provided in the email, I have to wonder what's going to happen to 'me'.  Looking at what I pay each month, the entry-level package is more expensive!
Best,
Jonty.