Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections and slow speed

ratbag
Grafter

Re: Disconnections and slow speed

Hello Kevin,
"Have you checked for updates on the fault ticket?"
I don't think I have one. I have no opened question in help and support, maybe  I'm looking in the wrong place. I've had no email from plusnet regarding opening a fault ticket. I've looked around members area, can't see anything relevant.
Barry.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Hi Kevin,
The OP has raised a fault so we'll pick this up as part of the usual process.

Look here - https://portal.plus.net/index_portal.html?alert_action=ack&alert_id=6 - you might need to look at recently closed questions.
If there is not an open one, then raise a slow speed report here - http://faults.plu.net - aside from a new filter and a new router, you've done all of the testing.  Paste a link to this thread in there.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ratbag
Grafter

Thanks Kevin, the ticket/question had been closed. I started a new one, went right through to "testing another router" and didn't want to check the box that said "I understand that I could be charged...". Looks like a dead end, I can accept the speed as it is now if it stays that way.
Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.
Barry.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

With the upstream synch at 440 it's a cinch that it's ADSL2+ with a capped upstream.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Charges would only apply if an engineer found the cause of the fault to be caused by internal wiring/faulty equipment.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Chris,
Was this posted on the wrong thread?
Is there anything more which can be done for Barry?

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: ratbag
Thanks Kevin, the ticket/question had been closed. I started a new one, went right through to "testing another router" and didn't want to check the box that said "I understand that I could be charged...".

No, I wanted to reassure Barry that charges could only (potentially) be raised if we sent an engineer out and he/she found the fault to be an internal issue.
ratbag
Grafter

Okay, thanks chaps. Currently disconnections have stopped, speed is at least back to where it was. If it were the case that there is still a problem and that I could be getting better speeds but the problem is at my end, I'd rather not get it fixed and keep the current speed if it meant being charged. I hope that makes sense. Anyway, out of curiosity, here are the current router statistics. If you think I should be getting better than this, please tell me (and how much better). This is just upload statistics:
Connection Speed: 5166 kbps
Line Attenuation: 42.5 db
Noise Margin: 6.6 db
Many thanks,
Barry.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Barry,
This is a bit low for both 20CN and 21CN services - not had a DCT comment to identify which service you are provided on.
You have seen a little bit better in the master socket, but still less than expectations.
With the improved speed, your router reported a higher line attenuation, which seems odd to me.  The acid test question is does PN's copper line tests identify anything which is less than ideal, which has a reasonable chance of being located external to your premises and fixed, thereby avoiding the risk of you being charged by BTOR?
Kevin

ratbag
Grafter

Hello Kevin,
"not had a DCT comment to identify which service you are provided on" Not sure what DCT is, is this something I can provide?
I have dug out a spare router, an older version of the Netgear I currently use. I've posted a picture of them together so you know I'm not making it up! (well, pictures are no proof these days but still...). Later I will hook it up and check the statistics on that one. That way I can honestly answer "yes" to having tried another router. I still won't check any boxes agreeing that I may be charged if any come up however as explained in my previous post. I'll have to do this later now though, tied up at the moment. Thanks again for your help,
Barry.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

DCT = Digital Care Team Smiley
The circuit is 21CN on ADSL2+.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry Barry,
No, DCT is PlusNet's Digital Care Team - 3x Chris, 2x Adam, Linn and Kelly - hope I've not missed anyone.
Netgear routers - it would be wise to check both for firmware updates (there is usually an in-built router menu option to do this on netgears).  I saw a post on here this morning of marked improvement being experienced by the upgrade.  If I can find the post again, I'll cross link this thread to that.  Edit2: found the reference - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,128745.msg1119045.html#msg1119045
Edit: Chris answered whilst struggling to post - forums seem sluggish at present.  That answer suggests that in ideal circumstances, you might get 7.9Mbps.

Kevin

ratbag
Grafter

Thanks chaps.
I had a chance to try the other router. Here are the stats for download:
Connection speed: 4766 kbps
Line Attenuation: 38 db
Noise Margin: 10db
The normal router measured straight after:
Connection speed: 5468kbps
Line Attenuation: 42.5 db
Noise Margin: 9.6 db
Firmware on both routers is up-to-date. Netgear haven't updated either in quite a while, probably won't again.
The connection speed varies quite a bit. For a while it stayed around 6262 (or something similar) but has since been a bit lower usually in the 5xxxx area. I got 7.something when plugged into the main socket the other day, so maybe there isn't a problem, maybe my long extension wiring is the reason for the lower speeds. It's certainly back to 'normal' for me now anyway. I don't feel great about raising a problem with plusnet if the extension wiring is the likely cause, what do you think?
Thanks again,
Barry.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@DCT,
Accepting Barry's comments about his internal wires, do you have a view on the repeated 10% variance on line attenuation seen by both routers?
Has anything shown up on the copper wires testing?
Kevin

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

In every instance in this thread, the lower attenuation figures have been reported at lower speeds, and in the last case, at a lower speed and with different modem/router. I don't think it has any great significance, it's just reporting a higher attenuation value when connected at a higher speed.