cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shocked slow as snail on my fibre

buseng12
Grafter

Re: Shocked slow as snail on my fibre

Complete rubbish even during the day today!!!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3390243535.png  

I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOW!!
The judges' bench is ever closer looming.
I am now on the verge of publicly naming & shaming Plusnet & BTW on every forum & website I can think of.
AndyH
Grafter

@ buseng12
This was the update provided to you on Friday:
Quote from: Chris
@inam @gianthaystax @buseng12
Your exchanges are still being investigated and we'll continue to send evidence of poor performance that we get to our suppliers.
Sorry there's no further update on this yet.

Plusnet are chasing BT Wholesale and giving them evidence of poor performance at your exchange. It's really in the hands of BT Wholesale now - you'll just have to be patient and wait for them to come back.
There is not much else that can be done, particularly at a weekend.
buseng12
Grafter

1. It shouldn't happen in the first place, either the "network" should cope or the product should not be sold. The upshot is that BTW's fibre was done on the cheap & it has come back to bite them. Seemingly it doesn't happen on LLU networks like Sky or TalkTalk.
2. That is why I have cited BTW as well as Plusnet.
3. BTW investigate something? I would land on the moon first.
dick:quote
Inam
Grafter

Even during the day not getting full speed now
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: buseng12
1. It shouldn't happen in the first place, either the "network" should cope or the product should not be sold. The upshot is that BTW's fibre was done on the cheap & it has come back to bite them. Seemingly it doesn't happen on LLU networks like Sky or TalkTalk.

It shouldn't happen but it does. There can also be technical reasons, like an equipment fault or failure, that is beyond the reasonable control of BT Wholesale.
It also has happened on Sky's network in the past - see http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5074-sky-llu-users-suffering-localised-speed-issues.html and http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/sky-dismisses-network-strain-ahead-of-o2-and-be-migration-50010583/
2. That is why I have cited BTW as well as Plusnet.

There is very little that Plusnet can do, apart from continually chasing and pushing BT Wholesale for answers.
3. BTW investigate something? I would land on the moon first.

The actual cause of the congestion needs to be investigated. Plusnet now how more detailed information and will be able to see if their other affected users are on the same SVLAN.
Hopefully, it will just take a few days to fix (which is the normal timescale when the SVLANs capacity is increased). However, it can take a lot longer (i.e. weeks) if new equipment has to be put in or new fibre connections made - this is the worst case scenario.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: Melancholie
The way AAISP monitor each and every customer line every second allows them to see issues with more granularity than Plusnet. In addition AAISP seem to not care less what BTW think is acceptable performance and lean on them at signs of any packet loss.

You know as well as me in normal commercial networks anything above 0% packetloss is not considered normal and you should also know packetloss on an idle line is most defenitly not normal.
If I took this attitude to my customers they would find someone else.  As I would expect them to.
AAisp's approach is right, just because BTw try to pass of some rules it doesnt mean they have to be accepted.
So on monday I will be seeking to find plusnet's position, if they refuse to escalate my fault then I will look for a new supplier.
Right now on a new windows install I have been waiting FORTY minutes for IE10 to download (microsoft download service seems very badly affected by packetloss as the affect of packetloss isnt consistent depending on congestion algorithm's etc.)  On so called superfast broadband services.
here is graphs as plusnet requested
thursday

friday

saturday

sunday
chrcoluk
Grafter

andyH plusnet can do 2 things.
1 - chase up BTw, you assume they doing this, but they refused to do this for me on friday.
2 - use another backhaul supplier, of course plusnet are owned by BT so this is very unlikely.
AndyH
Grafter

I am sure dave will look further into your data first thing on Monday and raise a case with BT Wholesale. I don't think it was the case that he refused to, more than he needed extra data because he was not seeing quite the same issue as other people on here from the monitoring data. Which exchange are you on?
Another backhaul supplier - is just not financially possible given what Plusnet charges for broadband (let alone the whole owned by BT issue). Plusnet cannot be paying what other BT Wholesale customers pay for bandwidth...
chrcoluk
Grafter

AndyH plusnet's finances arent my problem, my only concern is my contract with plusnet for superfast broadband.
I am on EMCENTL which is leics central exchange.
Right now I have more windows updates coming down at 0.03% utilization of my gigabit nic (dumeter not installed yet) which is approx 30kB/sec.  that is slower than 0.5mbit adsl sold in the year 2000.  Confirmed in my router traffic stats.
given the timing of goldenfibre's fix and mine imploding, I do wonder if BTw are pulling a virgin media by rerouting traffic (overloading another node in the process) then pretending its an upgrade.
The speed graph makes it seem like its rate limited, normally packetloss would make jagged graphs as ramping up keeps failing, this is a smooth 30kB/sec.
Daveodeth
Grafter

the "fix" during the week is laughable

I am paying for fibre, what I am getting is adsl or worse.
quite frankly the response has been polite and to the point from plusnet but the action is a joke. If this is a problem at openreach's end and you don't have the clout to get them to resolve the issue you serve no purpose to me and it's time to go elsewhere.
AndyH
Grafter

Well that part of the country seems to be a real hot spot - Leicester, Nuneaton, Coventry, Tamworth, Burton upon Trent.
AAISP put an update late Friday that Coventry "should be resolved later this evening when a new link is installed between Nottingham and Derby". I am not sure whether this was completed or if it would improve things for other exchanges in the area. But it does show you that there has definitely been a major capacity problem in the area.
xxtrickzxx
Grafter

Sad I'm from burton on trent and my plusnet fibre at the moment is giving around 1mb (like now) till 12pm then returns too 26mb,I've just had enough with it!this happens every year to me and I've spent over 12 hrs of my life on the impossible task of trying to get the tap 3 test to work so Plusnet have ammunition to take to bt,while my neighbour on sky gets a drop from 30 meg to 29 at the same,so after over 8 years I'm moving to sky don't want to but they've promised me a min of 20.9 and a maximum of 22.9 mb(hopefully higher) but unlike plusnet(I'm having to pay £115 to pay off my contact) if it drops below the minimum (20.9) for over 3 months you can walk at no extra cost,not blaming Plusnet here though guys it the usual devious btw tossers letting Plusnet down.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Quote from: AndyH
I think Plusnet are doing a pretty good job of identifying congestion and reporting it to BT Wholesale. If you were with the likes of BT Retail, Sky and TalkTalk, you wouldn't get this kind of service and interaction with the support guys.

100% agree with this. Plusnet did very well. Shame about BTw is taking this far too long and slow! Let's all act together and FIGHT BTw until it all fixed.
AndyH
Grafter

Add me to the list again...  Sad
Bradwell Abbey (SMBA)

chrcoluk
Grafter

upgraded the connection to almost 2mbit adsl spec after tuned tcp 😛