cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long timeouts for stale PPPoE connections

Lorian
Grafter

Re: Long timeouts for stale PPPoE connections

It always about 6 or 7 minutes for me. It's the same if I connect a Vigor 2750's VDSL modem directly or dial PPPoE through the HG612 from my new Vigor 2860.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Just a heads up that the work Bob mentioned earlier on in this thread will be going ahead tomorrow.
We've posted a service status.
Let us know if you notice any difference where you would normally receive the 'concentrator not reachable' message.
deathtrap
Grafter

I noticed this too, but it only will occur if the session is dropped by the GW  As i can disconnect  & reconnect manually  a lot quicker, When kicked off a gateway, i have found that the quickest way of re establishing a session is to  reboot the router this is using a billion 7800 router
 Jan 01 00:00:47  daemon  pppd[551]: PPP: PPP Server No Response !!!
 Jan 01 00:00:47  daemon  pppd[551]: Doing disconnect
 Jan 01 00:00:50  daemon  pppd[551]: PPP: Start to connect ...
 Jan 01 00:01:13  daemon  pppd[551]: Couldn't get channel number: Transport endpoint is not connected
Is the loop i get following being kicked
I just hope the changes will be reversed straight away  should their be any problems such as what Bob Pullen says Here

he 'ppp keepalive' setting is based on the edge router/gateway getting an ECHO reply from the customer's equipment. There's a risk that lowering the timer could cause unwanted disconnections every 90-120s if something doesn't go as planned.

jimbof
Grafter

Pretty hard to see it going wrong in that way to be honest... if it is just the timeout parameter being changed, then those affected would currently be seeing their connection disconnect every 6-8 minutes, which I don't think anyone is reporting.  So hoping for good things!
Lorian
Grafter

At 7:21 I powered off my modem to test and it continued to have the same issue until 7:28 when it reconnected.  Sad
Did the change not go ahead?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Powered off your modem or router? I was under the impression that this happens when powercycling the router, not the Openreach modem. The maintenance /did/ go ahead. It was completed by around 6am. Anyone else had much success?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Lorian
Grafter

I have a Vigor 2860 router using the HG612 as a modem.
If I physically power off (not reboot) the modem I see this issue, and it still happens.
I have plenty of other kit i can try next time I'm home.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Ah, fair enough.
If people find that things aren't working then we're going to need to capture what's happening across the network when the problem occurs. Best way to do this would be:
PPPoE router <— hub —> BT vDSL modem

Then plug a laptop or similar into the hub and capture the traffic using Wireshark /before/ the router is powercycled and keep capturing until the PPPoE connection is re-established.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jimbof
Grafter

I just disabled my stale session killing hack and killed the connection between my router and the ECI modem.
Killed it at 9.40.18.
Couldn't establish a PPP connection until 9.46.51.
I was connected to ptn-ag03 before taking the connection down (in case anyone wants to look at the logs on that server).
So doesn't look to be any better.  Back in goes the hack...!
jimbof
Grafter

So have you "really" applied the fix now?  Tongue As of a few minutes ago it now seems to take a little under 2 minutes for a PPP connection to be able to be established.
knowdice
Rising Star

Still almost exactly 8 minutes from router power cycle.... Embarrassed
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

@knowdice
Did you get the concentrator not reachable? I've checked your log and it shows you disconnected at 12:08pm and reconnected at 12:09pm.
knowdice
Rising Star

I don't think so and the full log has now disappeared 😞
Power cycled just the router Draytek 2130n log was showing "pppd[10309]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets" until about 7:40 after reboot.
Will try again later with syslog enabled to see if a can get something more meaningful.
knowdice
Rising Star

Typical...
Just power cycled and unit comes up and reconnects in just over 3 minutes, 40 seconds of that was the hardware coming up...
Lorian
Grafter

Just tried one test now and it seems to have come back up in about 2 minutes.....perhaps the fix was slow to propagate?
Will test more later.