Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak time latency spikes

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Peak time latency spikes

Kelly or Dave might need to look into that, as I thought I read/heard that it didn't continue after the Trial ended  Huh
sladkart
Grafter

At the end of the trial there was an option to either stay on the fixed profile or move back to a dynamic profile. Stability of my sync speed suggests I'm still on the fixed profile as requested - the DLM always used to move my snr target up to 15dB or add banding.  I've not had that since the trial started.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

and tonight again  Lips_are_sealed

Did you do a Talktalk/VM and take on too many new customers for the available bandwidth?
currently  ptw-ag02, now to do the gateway dance
edit:
pcl-ag07
pcl-ag03
ptn-ag03
ptn-ag04
ptw-ag04
pcl-ag08
All the same dire speeds, see attached graph each test tonight that I ran are in order of that list of gateways above
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
houlton23
Grafter

I've also had reports of terrible speeds '360p YouTube buffering' from friends on PN Sad
Any update on a ETA for a proper fix PN? Getting a little silly now..
EDIT:
Alright! I'm totally loving this brilliant service right now Cheesy

Soo it's monday tomorrow. First person from PN who sees this in the morning, go get someone who knows exactly what's going on to sit and type it out in this thread with exactly what you're doing to fix it.
As my mate put it: 'Why do I have internet that I have to reboot and mess around with every day for it to work properly?"
Alex  Angry
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

poop gaming on pcl ag 08
grrrrrrrrrrrrr  Tongue
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

ptw-ag01 10:30 pm I think, if I've read the scale correctly. Just half an hour before fixed this time. I hope the network guys have some idea why it's happening.

That's RPM to you!!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just changed routers and my ping dropped slightly but after about 3 hours it resynched and I am now on ptn-ag04 and just see what it did to the pings unless the interleave depth has changed Niote graph shows the effect of changing gateways - increa
That isn't checkable and this router doesn't seem to have a connect/disconnect option
see later post for full effect
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We've been working closely with our suppliers to get to the bottom of this and it's our main priority at the moment.
We've recently added new equipment to try and help resolve this and have further maintenance planned this week.
As soon as we can give you a further update we will.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The router just resynched (it isn't as good as the Netgear at holding sync) when the phone rang
Now on pcl-ag07 and pings are back to about 31 so it was definitely the gateway
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I can find a good gateway  Wink but then for some reason it auto swaps to another  Roll_eyes
cant play with  ptw-ag02. at the mo  Embarrassed
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Hey guys,
Thought I owed you a little bit of an explanation as to what's been going on.
Basically, we have some devices in our network that aren't performing to their specification.  We've built the network design to be able to handle a certain amount of traffic flowing through each device, but they aren't handling it.    What is happening is that at our peak time, when these devices reach a certain amount of traffic they start to fail, and ask the core routers between them and the internet to slow down the rate at which they are sending traffic.  It is this slowing of the packets which you guys are seeing in the big spikes of latency on the thinkbroadband graphs.
Because the core router being asked to slow down in its transmission of data is before our traffic management platform, it is random as to what traffic is being affected.  This is what's causing the increase of gaming and ping and traceroute latency, and the buffering on streaming. 
We've been working closely with the vendor for the past few weeks to try and determine what is happening.  Some of this work has required us to capture data from the platform directly while the problem was happening.  This is why you've seen 15-30min spikes of the problems happening and then disappearing. 
The vendor is still working on the problem, but we've made some changes to our network to try and prevent the issue from triggering, by placing additional devices in the network.  These went active on Sunday and were brought into balance ready for the Monday night peak and thankfully we didn't see a return of the issue.  We've more work to do on the platform to "bulk it up" to prevent this materialising as the network bandwidth grows while the vendor debugs and hopefully provides us a patch.
Some of the other issues you guys have been seeing aren't directly related to the problem.  (I'm thinking the speed drops that Gus has seen, and some of the buffering, but not at peak).  They could however be related to a change we made to tighten up some bandwidth controls to help control the recurrence of the problem.  They could just be too tight.
So, tonight Dave is reversing these changes and I'm hoping that we should see much better performance across the network.  As always, please hop on here and give us a good yell at if performance is still dodgy.
I'd be interested in seeing speed tests, traceroutes, TBB graphs, ping plots and always which gateways you believe are affected.
Oh, and before someone suggests it, this isn't to do with Unlimited.  We'd be having the same problem even if we hadn't launched it Wink
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
markm9
Grafter

Kelly, count me in, as in previous post my speed drops dramatically drops dramatically between hours of approx. 7pm until 11pm,
latest speedtest is in my link, also tbb graph Wink
Forgot to add im on gateway  ptn-ag03. Roll_eyes
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
These went active on Sunday ...

Which might explain why I saw the sudden improvement in my speed tests with very smooth graphs and the fact that they were completing. ... Might, though wonder if it has anything to do with the similarly timed and equally sudden degradation in the already shakey gameplay performance issues I have. Anyway, thanks for the information. Interesting to read.

markm9
Grafter

Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.246.94]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1    27 ms    99 ms    99 ms
  2    29 ms    23 ms    21 ms
]  3    25 ms    26 ms    27 ms
  4    24 ms    88 ms    25 ms
  5    22 ms    21 ms    23 ms
  6    26 ms    26 ms    25 ms
  7    *        *        *    Request timed out.
  8    25 ms    36 ms    25 ms
  9    31 ms    28 ms    30 ms 
10    25 ms    25 ms    25 ms
Copy of trace to bbc.co.uk, also copy of latest bt speedtest;
Download speedachieved during the test was - 32.46 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-53.41 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 53.41 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 11.82Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps.
As you can see speed dropped by approx. 15mbps, in about 1 hour.

markm9
Grafter

ok, after another hour im seeing this speed!!!!!!!!
Download speedachieved during the test was - 9.88 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-53.41 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 53.41 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 14.29Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps,
A drop of just under 40mbps in about 2 hours, im on gateway ptn-ag03 Sad