Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows 10

jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: windows 10

Quote from: ReedRichards
Yes.  As things stand at present, once you have upgraded to Windows 10 you can alternate between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 as often as you wish and indefinitely.  But the path back to Windows 8.1 becomes more difficult after 30 days.

Cheers for that,as long as all my progs don,t get lost in doing so. Smiley
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Jelv, as things stand you will have to upgrade to Windows 10 which will give you the 32-bit version.  After that you can clean install 64-bit Windows 10.  This is nothing to do with the licence, just that Microsoft have never allowed an upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit Windows (or vice versa); it always requires a clean install.  
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: jockwav
as long as all my progs don,t get lost in doing so. Smiley

That very much depends on how you do it, particularly reverting to Windows 8.1
jockwav
Aspiring Pro

Oh dear,well i only know one way & that is to do the restore back i think. Smiley Shocked
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

..  restore back i think.

Well that method is limited to the first 30 days after your last upgrade and there are various things you can do unwittingly that will prevent it from running.
The best option, if you have the means of doing it, is to create an 'image' of your Windows 8.1 set-up and revert back to that as necessary.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Jelv, as things stand ...

Actually, I read that Microsoft have re-released the ISO for the 1511 version of Windows 10 so you might be able to use this directly for a clean install of Windows 10 then activate with your Windows 7 product key.  But this is a new system and the risk is that it doesn't work.  I would be less confident if you just have the product key from an OEM sticker but the product key for a retail version of Windows 7 really ought to be okay. 
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I find Windows to be so easy (not).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jockwav
Aspiring Pro

..  restore back i think.

Well that method is limited to the first 30 days after your last upgrade and there are various things you can do unwittingly that will prevent it from running.
The best option, if you have the means of doing it, is to create an 'image' of your Windows 8.1 set-up and revert back to that as necessary.

Not sure if i can do that i have been on win 10 for about a week,so not sure how to create an image of win 8.1 now. Huh
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

You cannot - without rolling back to 8.1.
jockwav
Aspiring Pro

Stuck between a rock blah blah Roll_eyes Huh Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: vilefox
I find Windows to be so easy (not).

Isn't it much the same with Linux?  You can do a clean install of a new version or try for an upgrade.  The main difference is that with Windows if it all goes wrong you can curse Microsoft whereas with Linux there is nobody to blame but yourself.
VileReynard
Hero

I don't bother doing clean installs of Linux as they are unnecessary.
I currently rely on a rolling upgrade - so I'm never faced with some pointless total redesign of the desktop.
Linux just works without any complicated interfaces.
I don't need to curse Linux but I would be pretty upset about Windows since I'd have paid good money for it.
I could cope with the relatively successful Windows XP, partly cope with W7 but the rest are rubbish.
I would do a clean install of Linux if I had a major disk crash.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I currently rely on a rolling upgrade - so I'm never faced with some pointless total redesign of the desktop.

Funny, Windows 10 uses rolling upgrades and has been much criticised for that.  And it's slated to continue until 2025.  Isn't that just what you're looking for?
jockwav
Aspiring Pro

As i am still thinking about going back to win 8.1 i thought i need to back up to my spare 1TB usb drive that has been sitting in the drawer for ages.
Plugged it into the wall socket & connected the usb to the pc,but it does not show up no matter what i try.
I had the drive up to my ear the next time i tried to re power it but it is just making a weird whirring noise & won,t boot up,so i think it is goosed.
What i have done is on my homegroup i made a folder on my wife,s pc & backed up a lot of files & programs in it,will this work ok if i need them?. Roll_eyes Huh Smiley
VileReynard
Hero

Funny, Windows 10 uses rolling upgrades and has been much criticised for that.  And it's slated to continue until 2025.  Isn't that just what you're looking for?

a) There is no termination date such as 2025.
b) I get asked if I want to download upgrade(s) and a brief meaningful description is supplied.
c) I could switch off rolling upgrades & stick to a ultra-stable distribution if I wanted to.