cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transfer my internet to a new computer

alan4heidi

transfer my internet to a new computer

i have just bought a newer computer and would like to know how to transfer my plusnet setup to the new one ...it used to be easy when we had a setup cd.....heidi
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): presumably accidental poll removed for you.]
7 REPLIES 7
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: transfer my internet to a new computer

All you need to do is to setup your email client on the new pc, copy your bookmarks over & plug it into the router, everything else is done by the router, you don't need to setup any connections.
Denzil
Grafter

That is assuming it is a router (connected to the PC with a network cable). If it is a USB modem you will need to do some setup. If that is the case there are some setup guides here.
If you need them, there email setup guides here.
alan4heidi

thank you both for your replies  i dont know what you meen by  " copy over bookmarks "    and my router is a  THOMPSON wireless one supplied by plus  6 months ago.....heidi  [novice]
HairyMcbiker
All Star

In IE or FF you have bookmarks (if you use them) they need copied from one pc to the other. Since you are usng a router there is no setup as such just plug in the Ethernet cable and you should be able to connect automatically.
alan4heidi

thanks a lot,,i dont use bookmarks  so i will try what you sugest after formatting my hard disk drive....heidi
HairyMcbiker
All Star

If you use Outlook express for email you may need to copy any old email over as well. But if you only use web mail (i.e. via a web browser) then you don't need to.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: alan4heidi
thank you both for your replies  i dont know what you meen by  " copy over bookmarks "    and my router is a  THOMPSON wireless one supplied by plus  6 months ago.....heidi  [novice]

Bookmarks, are the same as "Favourites" on Internet Explorer....  Wink