Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

texting problem

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

texting problem

Phone is   HUAWEI Y6 2019..... Provider is THREE mobile.....

Can make and receive phone calls... YAY !...

Can receive text messages...... BUT   cannot send a reply, or make a new text message and send it.

Can make the message... but... when I click the arrow thing to send it... says  "connecting" then "sending"...then a red message "Not sent, tap to try again".... so I do that ... then get a grey message box across the bottom of the phone... saying "Can't send message with 3 - Error 50"

Have spent over an hour and half on "live chat" with three this morning, but they do not seem to know what is causing this, or how to help me to fix it..

I understand that text messages go via a "message centre" number... and remember , somewhere along the line, about 2 months ago, actually finding the place to set that number up... but cannot find it again. to check to make sure it is correct.... Having said that... I am assuming that it IS correct, otherwise I would not be receiving text messages, including from THREE,  ( security pin numbers ) and also from PayPal, when logging in to pay for something on ebay etc )

Can anyone help me please, to solve this problem.

13 REPLIES 13
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: texting problem

@shutter I know it is a silly question, but have you got credit on the phone? That seems to be one of the causes of that error - no credit.

No idea where to find it on your phone, but it should be: +447782000800

Have you been able to send messages previously?

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1  Yes! I have credit on the phone.... £8.20  PAYG

That is the message centre number for THREE... and I have actually found the location of that, and it is relevant and correct

I don't think so.... only because I rarely use it ... ( as you can see, that £8.20 is remains of the initial £10 credit applied when i got the new sim card from 3... way back in early October.

I think I have TRIED to reply to text messages but have been getting that message as above, and not bothered too much since... got time on my hands, and decided it was time to try and sort it out.

Googling does give some suggestions  ....like clearing cache  etc... soft restart the phone... force stop the messages app, and then restart the phone and try again...but all to no avail.

Seems a bit stupid to be able to receive texts but not be able to reply to them.

jab1
Legend

In that case, @shutter , I'm as stumped as you, because the only other suggestion I was going to make was a soft reset. Dare you do a hard reset? - but don't ask me how you do that on your phone,'cause I wouldn't know how - sorry.

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1  I've done one before... not too difficult,... just a tad more work to re-install all the apps again.  got the contacts on the SIM card.. and music vids on SD card so can remove them... and then give it a go... just hope I can find where to put the message centre number  again. !

As I have spent all day on this problem  ( must try and get out more ! ! ! ! )  I think a hard reset is the next option.

Incidentally, I have a Tablet running on ASDA and that is now sending messages,...  maybe it is the message app,on the phone that is causing the problem.... will install the same app as on the tablet on to the phone and see if that works.

watch this space !

cheers

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Maybe you've tried this, but -

Just occasionally, turning off a mobile, then powering up again, can solve a problem where a restart has failed.

Taking the battery out and then re-fitting often works wonders, but that looks to be a very tricky option with that phone. Sad

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
shutter
Community Veteran

@198kHz  Yup !    been there..... dun that.....   probably a 100 times today !  not tried the battery option yet... (it does have a good charge! )

cheers for suggestions

shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1  & @198kHz  a bit of an update..... just to find out if it was a phone ( hardware / software) problem, I have swapped over the ASDA sim from the Tablet, to the phone... and tried sending a text... NO PROBLEM... went off almost immediately,... and ( to my missus phone ) almost immediately received... so that proves it's not the phone....

ASDA is cheaper than THREE... so I'm going to investigate swapping over the number to my original, and say goodbye to £8.20 credit on the THREE card..

( or .... just order a new ASDA card.... )

Another update  ! ! ! ! ... just tried the THREE sim in the tablet... and it don't want to send the text message... so ...Will write a letter to THREE tomorrow... and see if I can get a refund of the credit... due to the SIM being faulty...

Have a nice Christmas... and hope the Santa brings you all that you have wished for.

Cheers

jab1
Legend

A 'kind' of result, @shutter , but very weird 😕.

John
Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

May I make a suggestion 

Take the phone and SIM into a Three shop and ask them to look at it and see if they find a problem

I hand a problem with the back up phone I use on Three and it was a faulty SIM the shop changed the Sim set it up put the contacts numbers on the new SIM all was working correctly

Cost zero  worth giving it a try 

If you go down that route please let us all know what happens 

shutter
Community Veteran

@Smith7  That sounds like a good idea.... thanks... but I was going to ditch 3 when the credit ran down to almost nothing.. and change it over to ASDA... Also... Finding a 3 shop, and going there to try and explain it all, with a mask on, etc etc etc... will be almost as much stress and trouble as I have had today... so just going to phone them up and ask for a PAC `and do a transfer of my number over to ASDA.

Thanks for the suggestion.

have a good Christmas

Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

I just  left my phone complete with SIM at the Three shop after proving who I was who I said I was

Collected the phone later all sorted

shutter
Community Veteran

Fix

RESLLT !.... after spending over an hour and a half with a less than helpful person on THREE live chat... I managed to get a PAC number  from them, and can migrate my number to ASDA... also having managed to get the whole conversation "escalated" to their customer relations department.. they are going to refund the £8.10p outstanding credit on my PAYG sim, to my bank account.

What a performance to go through on Christmas day... but I suppose I have to look on the bright side... it's a result that i never expected to get the refund... an on Christmas day too ! !

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@shutter wrote:

RESLLT !

EXCEULENT !

Thanks for update.  🙂

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)