cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rDNS / PTR record

pb52
Dabbler

rDNS / PTR record

My domain is hosted by 1 and 1.  I'm running a home mail server and one of the red flags is that my PTR record does not match my domain.

I have a couple of solutions:

1. Move my domain name to plusnet

2, Ask Plusnet to change my PTR record to reflect my domain name

Anybody been down this path and have some advice please?

10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: rDNS / PTR record

You can get PN to update your rdns by raising a ticket and attaching a proof of domain ownership
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

This link should do what you need.

pb52
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick response

OK. there was a bunch of stuff on the help page that talked about needing a forward DNS entry, followed by some field descriptions that didn't make a lot of sense to me, and caused my eyes to glaze over.  DIo  need to do this on plusnet or my domain host please?

Forward DNS

When using "any-host-name.domain.co.uk", changing just the reverse DNS here will not create the forward DNS for the domain, which you will require if you intend to use applications such as IRC. In order to create the forward DNS, you need to go to the portal domain configuration tool linked below and add an A Record for your IP with your chosen hostname. For example, if your wanted forward DNS for "home.johnsmith.me.uk" and your static IP was 212.159.0.2, then you would enter the following in the "Configure > Configure DNS settings" section for the domain johnsmith.me.uk:

left -- type ----- pri ---------- right
home --- A ---- (blank) --- 212.159.0.2

If using "domain.co.uk" for your forward DNS then as above you must add your forward DNS. So, for example, if your rDNS was set to "johnsmith.co.uk" then you would need to add the following A record. Please pay particular attention to the trailing "." in the left field:

left -- type ----- pri ---------- right
johnsmith.co.uk. --- A ---- (blank) --- 212.159.0.2

dvorak

I’m assuming that if you’ve already set up your mail server at home you’ve configured your DNS and MX records to point to your home IP - otherwise mail would be able to be delivered.
If that’s the case, then you don’t need to do anything else.
Customer / Moderator
pb52
Dabbler

Yes, everything is running well and has been for a few weeks now, but when I run a test mail through www.mailtester.com, it marks me down because my domain and PTR records don't match.  I wanted to address that by harmonising them and getting PN to use my domain mae.

If it's a simple raising a tick on PN with proof of domain ownership then great, but all the forward DNS references confuse me

dvorak

Try testing it out with mx toolbox, there is a free check there and I’ve found that gives some pretty detailed help https://mxtoolbox.com/

Customer / Moderator
Browni
Aspiring Hero

Basically what it is saying is you need to create the DNS 'A' record which in your case would be on 1 And 1.

As @dvorak says if everything is currently working all that is left to do is get Plusnet to change the rDNS by creating a ticket in the link I included.

pb52
Dabbler

Yes, I have used MX Toolbox during setup too.  It basically conforms the same, that my static IP address is associated with my plusnet account pbaxxxxx.plus.com instead of my domain xxxxxx.me.uk

pb52
Dabbler

OK, so my A record on 1 and 1 was already pointed at my PN static IP so all I need to do then is raise a ticket for the PTR record with proof of ownership and then change the MX record once the PTR has been updated.

From a timing perspective, how will I know the PTR has been changed so i can update the MX or should I do that in anticipation 

(Sorry, lots of newbie [to email hosting] questions. Smiley 

Browni
Aspiring Hero

You'll get an email notification when the ticket has been actioned.