cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Screen format full" message

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "Screen format full" message

Hi, it may be helpful I don't know but I am running Windows 8.1 Pro N with an Intel i7 4765T Processor and using the on-board HD 4600 graphics via DisplayPort connection. If I put my PC to sleep on waking the screen is nothing but coloured snow and no amount of waiting key pressing or mouse moving will reset it and to get back to a usable desktop I have to shut the PC down.
So if nothing else this tells me that this is a Windows 8 issue and is not connected to a specific graphics card / driver.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

As per my previous post, this sounds like an issue with the display - Not the PC.  Try toggling through the 'Screen Format' options using the button on the remote control.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: pwatson
What are you using as a monitor?  Could this be text displayed by the monitor rather than the computer?  It sounds like the monitor is telling you that it is set to 'full' aspect ratio...
You may be able to check if this is the case by unplugging the video feed to the monitor and seeing if you get the message when you plug it back int?

I quite agree the source of this message my well be the monitor. However, the point I am making is that the issue regarding the graphics after a wake up is not limited to the OP. Having suffered a variation of this using different hardware the common denominator here is Windows 8 implying that it is to blame.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My reply was aimed at the OP, however I disagree with your conclusion.  In this case the screen is waking up, it's just that it's displaying an annoying banner when it does so.  Nothing to do with OS...
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am having problems identifying the model you have
As far as I can tell the only model which fits your description is Sony VAIO L Series 24 http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pcs/1303111/sony-vaio-l-series-24
This has a 24" screen with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 screen
Assuming I am correct then the problem is that the graphics have been set up incorrectly
Does this help http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/get-best-display-monitor
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pwatson
OK fair enough. I'm not wanting to get into a bun fight over this, but like the OP my monitor also wakes up, but what I see is a lot different to the OP. This may well be caused by the OS manifesting but itself in a different way on the different hardware attached. As I said before the common thing here is Windows, as the chip sets and drivers are completely different and in my opinion can be excluded from the equation.
As we are entitled to our own opinions I respect yours and I hope you can see the logic behind mine.
JohnCT
Grafter

I am having great problem following the instructions:
going to settings there is no option "Change PC settings". So I fall at the first hurdle.  Embarrassed
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Are you on Windows 8 or 8.1
Either way try this http://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Resolution-in-Windows-8
JohnCT
Grafter

I have looked at that, it was set to the recommended resolution (1922 X 1080)so as an experiment  I have reduced it to 1440 X  900, a quick check seems that it no longer gives the the problem. So I will wait and see, then slowly increase the resolution until it fails. Many thanks to you all for your patience.
JohnCT
Grafter

Sad to say it has reared its ugly head again, so that did not work, more's the pity! Cry
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You could try updating the graphics drivers
JohnCT
Grafter

Thanks OJ but ir did that early on in the exercise.