Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pfSense and plus.net setup

cphillips1

pfSense and plus.net setup

Hi,

I currently have the following:

Internet -> BT Openreach modem -> Netgear R9000 router -> LAN (comprising ESX server and various VMs)

I would like to switch my Netgear R9000 router to become an Access Point and have a pfSense installation doing the work of that as the router.  

How do I setup the WAN side of pfSense?  Do I need to set it to use PPPOE or DHCP/Static?  My account with Plus.net has a static IP.  The more I read on the internet the more confused I become! 

At the moment I have pfSense running as a VM (no VLAN's involved) on ESX.

More than happy to provide any further details as needed!

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: pfSense and plus.net setup

@cphillips1 

Do I need to set it to use PPPOE or DHCP/Static?  My account with Plus.net has a static IP.  The more I read on the internet the more confused I become! 

You set it for PPPoE and obtain IP from ISP.

It matters not whether you have a dynamic or static IP on your account. Effectively, having a static IP just means that you will always be allocated the same IP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cphillips1

Re: pfSense and plus.net setup

MisterW

Thanks, I set it to PPPoE, entered my username and password for plus.net and it sprang into life.
I can't get out to the internet at the moment so looks like I have an issue with DNS (I have a Windows Domain on my network and use that for DNS) so need to do some more troubleshooting but have made progress!

Moderators Note: Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules