Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email on mobile

RayG1
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

email on mobile

Hello

Like many, I have my email set up to receive and send via my mobile. However, although I can receive emails I am unable to send them. They go my Outbox and get stuck. I've check (on the mobile) sending an email from my gmail account to my plusnet account and the message is sent. The other way round (plusnet to gmail0 the message gets stuck in the Outbox. Any ideas on how to resolve this would be much appreciated.

Ray

18 REPLIES 18
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: email on mobile

This sounds like not having authentication set up in outbound server (relay.plus.net) settings. The username and password for this will be the same as used with the incoming server.

Also make sure requiring SSL/TLS is *not* set and using port 587 is recommended.

David
RayG1
Dabbler

Hi David

Thanks for the quick response. I've checked the settings for the outbound server and they are as they should be. Username and password the same and security type is set to none. After sending an email and checking the Outbox i get a message that says There was a problem syncing this folder, please try again later. What else can I check?

Regards

Ray

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Ray.

Do you experience the same problem when sending to an address that's not gmail?

If not the problem may be related to this.

Cheers -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RayG1
Dabbler

Hi Anoush

I experience the problem no matter who the email is going to. It must have something to do with my Plusnet settings but everything looks like it should look. As mentioned, I can send from my gmail account without problem. i sent a test to my plusnet account and it arrived within seconds.

Thanks for the ongoing help

Ray

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Hi Ray,

Most email applications know how to set up a gmail account, so they get all the settings right and reading and sending messages works. Unfortunately setting up "Other" ISP email can be problematical as you've found. Sad

You mentioned a problem syncing a folder ...

After sending an email and checking the Outbox i get a message that says There was a problem syncing this folder, please try again later. What else can I check?

when trying to check the Outbox. I'm puzzled by that since the Outbox should be local to your device with no syncing involved. Is the problem in fact that it's trying to copy the message to the Sent folder, but hasn't got the name right?

Before going further I think it would be useful to establish which mobile device you are using and which application on that device. You must be using imap.plus.net for incoming messages because syncing wouldn't happen with POP3.

David
RayG1
Dabbler

Hi David

Yes, I'm using IMAP. This is the way my email is set up on my desktop and laptop. having it set that way on the phone ensures I can check my emails when away from home. I believe that's correct. I understand that if I used POP3 I would only be able to set up my email account on 1 device. However, I may be wrong about that. The phone I'm using is a Motorola (Lenovo) MotoG. This is the laest version of this model Moto G5. The big bug bear is that, with the previous phone, V4, i never had a problem with sending emails.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Ray.

Could you post up a few screenshots of the settings your device is using(Scrubbing out any personal information)?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RayG1
Dabbler

Hi Gandalph

Not sure how to grab screenshots of my phone. I'm busy until tomorrow afternoon. i will try and capture the screen with my camera and get something to you. Your help is appreciated.

Ray

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Hi Ray,

Since the Moto G5 is an Android device taking screenshots is done by pressing and holding the Power and Volume Down buttons for 3 seconds (or until a camera click is heard). The screenshot will be stored in a screenshots folder within the Photo app.

It looks like the default email app on that device is Gmail - are you using that default or an alternative you've installed from Playstore?

David
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Moved from Email to Tech Help as it appears to be a handset issue rather than a Plusnet one.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

RayG1
Dabbler

Hi David/Gandalph

Haven't tried any screengrabs as I thought that I wouldn't be able to email them to myself.

My email setting are:

Account name ray@rgrace.plus.com

Sync frequency: Every 15 minutes

Sync email is ticked

Download attachments is ticked

Email notifications is ticked

Server settings Incoming

Server is imap.plus.net

Port 143

Security type none

Server settings Outgoing

relay.plus.net

Port 587

I'm using the default Gmail app rather than one from the app store

Security type none

I think I may now have found a problem. I have just noticed that the account name is ray@rgrace.plus.com. It should be ray@rgrace36.plus.com. But, if the account name is incorrect how am I receiving emails for ray@rgrace36.plus.com? Equally, how do I change that?

I've change the account name in the account settings to show the 36 but the account doesn't seem to have changed.Should I delete that account and set it up again correctly. Perhaps i ought to give up technology!!

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Hi Ray,

I think it depends where the account name is shown whether being incorrect matters or not. However since the present account is proving troublesome I think deleting it and setting it up again from scratch could be a good idea.

I'm sure you are aware that when doing this you will have to change some settings, especially if you let it try the automated setup (which will fail verification). I just tried this with the Gmail app on a Nexus 7, had to amend the username and server names and change security from STARTTLS to None. But having made the changes it worked, and sending worked too.

David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I have my Plusnet email set up on Gmail app on my Moto G6 Play without any problems.

My Outgoing server settings have "Require sign-in" set to on .  Then my email address and password.  I can edit either of these, it seems.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@RayG1

Under Outgoing settings IMO you should enter just rgrace36 (or rgrace whichever is correct) in the account field, i.e. not the complete email address.

Give that a try.  Wink