Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email hosting

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: email hosting

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I am currently considering moving my emails to a Personal Email Account with ecohosting. Looking at their website, I think the option I need is "I will use my existing domain and update my nameservers".
I presume that means that ecohosting will advise the new nameservers, and I need to amend something in IONOS. That is where I am struggling, as I don't know what to look for or change.
Would I also need to amend MX records?

@waldron40 I would tend to agree with @dvorak, its simpler to transfer the domain.

I actually did it without transferring the domain, and it was very simple. Should you decide to do it this way Ecohosting will send you an email as soon as you place the order, this will tell you which nameservers to use. The information on how to change nameservers with IONOS is here https://www.ionos.co.uk/help/domains/dns-settings/#acc6194.

Once the nameservers are set then , you login to your Ecohosting account and it will configure MX records , SPF and DKIM automatically.

You do realise that the Personal email product ONLY allows one email address ? e.g someone@yourdomain.co.uk

I tend to use different mailboxes with my domain and also have quite a number of aliases so that I can effectively use different email addresses for different correspondents, for instance i have an alias amazon@mydomain used for my Amazon account.

In my case this made the Personal account not suitable. The Business account allows up to 10 mailboxes and an unlimited number of aliases(forwarders).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

waldron40
Dabbler

@MisterW

You do realise that the Personal email product ONLY allows one email address ? e.g someone@yourdomain.co.uk

I tend to use different mailboxes with my domain and also have quite a number of aliases so that I can effectively use different email addresses for different correspondents, for instance i have an alias amazon@mydomain used for my Amazon account.

I hadn't realised that. I do use only one email address mail@mydomain.co.uk, but I use a number of aliases such as bank@mydomain, energy@mydomain etc. I then use my email client (Thunderbird) to filter them into different folders.

Maybe it would be a better option to transfer the domain at the same time, to avoid any problems.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@waldron40 

The Personal mail product certainly only allows 1 mailbox, I'm not sure how many aliases or forwarders are possible. Probably the best would be to raise a query with Ecohosting directly sales@ecohosting.co.uk .

Sounds like you use aliases in a very similar manner to myself, the only difference is that I also have separate mailboxes as well.

Transferring the domain is probably the simplest, you can do it as part of the email ordering. I don't believe there are any transfer costs.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.