cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connect on WiFi but not vi Ethernet cable

kjh1

connect on WiFi but not vi Ethernet cable

Hi All, 

Okay just got fibre installed. New router installed wired direct to computer via Ethernet cable, cannot connect PC to router, (router connects to net )remove cable go to wireless connects straight away no problems. 

Windows 7 is the operating system, no idea why it wont connect when i click connect it asks me for my username , password which i know but just wont play, again no problem on wireless.

Any help appreciated

regards

Keith

11 REPLIES 11
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: connect on WiFi but not vi Ethernet cable

@kjh1 Which "user name"  & "password"     ? ?    there is one for the router, and one for conneccting to the internet via PlusNet...  you may be using wrong "user name"  & "password"...

kjh1

Okay i know my plusnet user name and password,,

but what will the user name and password be for the router, as i have never set those up, on the back of the router there are 2 passwords one for wifi, and admin password for hub manager whatever that is.

Regards

Keith

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

If your PC is connected by ethernet to the router you should not need to click anything to connect. What program is asking for a Username and Password. Have you set up an internet connection in "Network connections and settings"?

shutter
Community Veteran

@kjh1  the one on the back of the router...... is   " User name "     .....   admin      (note it is case sensitive ). and the other is the password for the access to the router, for resetting channel numbers etc... this is probably the password ( and username ) that is being requested when you are attempting to connect to  the router..

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Plug in the Ethernet cable.

Open a command prompt as administrator see https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-open-command-prompt-as-administrator-in-windows-7-xp-vis...

When the window opens type::

ipconfig /release (then carriage return).

ipconfig /renew (carriage return).

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@kjh1 wrote:

when i click connect it asks me for my username , password which i know but just wont play,

If you click "connect" you have already gone badly wrong somewhere as all you should need to do is plug-in the cable.  @shutter should know this; I fear his advice is just taking you further off in the wrong direction. 

shutter
Community Veteran

@ReedRichards  -  Possibly - However....

@kjh1 wrote:

Okay i know my plusnet user name and password,,

but what will the user name and password be for the router, as i have never set those up, on the back of the router there are 2 passwords one for wifi, and admin password for hub manager whatever that is.

Regards

Keith

My bold on that quote ..... 

@ReedRichards perhaps you could steer the O.P . in the right direction from here on in.........

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@shutter wrote:

@ReedRichards perhaps you could steer the O.P . in the right direction from here on in.........

I'd be happy to do this but I can't figure out where the O.P. is at the moment - except very lost.  If the WiFi works then the router must have an internet connection in which case there is absolutely no need to login to the router.  So all you should need to do is connect an Ethernet cable from the router to the computer and there you are - no set-up or password required.   

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is the ethernet cable actually correctly plugged into the correct holes in the PC & router?

Is the ethernet cable faulty - rather unlikely - but it can happen?

If it's Windows what does the "device manager" say about the status of the ethernet device (network adaptor)?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

As we haven't heard from @kjh1 since last wednesday maybe the problem is solved.

When I swapped from a router that used the 192.168.1.xxx IP range to  192.168.0.xxx, ifI remember correctly I had to release and renew the IP configuration as per this post. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/connect-on-WiFi-but-not-vi-Ethernet-ca... before I could get my computer to work with an Ethernet cable.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@Baldrick1 wrote:

As we haven't heard from @kjh1 since last wednesday maybe the problem is solved.

Let's hope so

When I swapped from a router that used the 192.168.1.xxx IP range to  192.168.0.xxx, ifI remember correctly I had to release and renew the IP configuration as per this post. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/connect-on-WiFi-but-not-vi-Ethernet-ca... before I could get my computer to work with an Ethernet cable.

Turning the computer off then turning it back on again will generally have the same effect.