cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yellow Ethernet Cables & Routers

Interested
Grafter

Yellow Ethernet Cables & Routers

I'm not a technical wizz I have to admit. However is it possible to have a loose connection in my yellow ethernet wire? It appear so as I keep loosing internet connection via my BT Voyager 2110.
Also how long on average does this router last as I need to save up in advance for an necessary expenditure?
Cheers in advance.
33 REPLIES 33
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Yellow Ethernet Cables & Routers

Yes the ethernet cable can get damaged - it happened to me
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Are you sure it isn't your net connection dropping?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Rich
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
Are you sure it isn't your net connection dropping?

Just what I was going to ask - what are the lights on the router doing when you lose connectivity?  If you post this info, someone knowledgeable about that model will be able to advise Smiley
Interested
Grafter

The lights are still green on internet, dsl & power lights.
The wired port connection that it is plugged into goes out as does the wireless light. (I do have a wi-fi card inside my laptop but was advised to use ethernet cable when joined plusnet.)
I have never used my wi-fi option. In fact the light on my laptop no longer lights up generally, as it used to, that says wi-fi. Though I did find a program for wi-fi on my laptop, which I ran and said all tests passed and light came on until I shut down that session recently.
Hope this helps you to help me.
James
Grafter

If the Internet & DSL lights don't drop when your connection goes down, it does sound a bit like your yellow cable may have died.
Rich
Grafter

Next steps...
1. Try the cable in a different port on the router.
2. If problem still exists then try a new cable.
3. If problem still exists, then it sounds like the port on the laptop may be faulty.
Interested
Grafter

Tried option 1 already with no joy. Looks like I need to go shopping for a new cable, as I have tried an alternative laptop & had the same probs.
Cheers all.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Cables do fail which is why IT Support departments have cable testers. Unless it's been bent through some fairly extreme angles it's probably more likely that the plastic retaining clip is damaged and the cable is loose in the network port- as you move the cable is jogged and you lose your connection. Professionals can re-crimp cables with a new connector but in your case a new cable is probably the best option.
Denzil
Grafter

Network cables are cheap enough it is not worth considering repairing them unless you are a professional who is doing lots of them.
Examples <a href="http://www.ebuyer.com/cat/Cables-and-Tools/subcat/Network-Cables-5m">here</a> and <a href="http://www.cclonline.com/product-categories.asp?category_id=181"> here</a>.
You can also use CAT6cable, and it doesn't have to be yellow. Smiley
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

Quote from: Interested
...The wired port connection that it is plugged into goes out as does the wireless light...

Am I the only one here that is thinking that might point to an other issue rather than a faulty cable?
Also, cat6 is total overkill for a home user.  It's way over priced for what it does and cat5e will hold a Gb connection over the distances within an adverage house easily.
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi folks,
I also seem to have some sort of a problem with yellow Ethernet cable; as supplied with Voyager 210 from Plus. The moulding covering the lead end of the plug seems to too bulky so that the little catch intended to keep the plug fully inserted into the sockets on the laptop and router does not engage. This has partly been the problem associated with faulty connections. Would a new (and different) cable help?
colintivy
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Alternatively a bit of carving of the moulding with a penknife may help  Grin
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: colintivy
Hi folks,
I also seem to have some sort of a problem with yellow Ethernet cable; as supplied with Voyager 210 from Plus. The moulding covering the lead end of the plug seems to too bulky so that the little catch intended to keep the plug fully inserted into the sockets on the laptop and router does not engage. This has partly been the problem associated with faulty connections. Would a new (and different) cable help?
colintivy

I find the plug end of the ethernet cable that goes into my laptop is extremely tight and one hell of a job to remove.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Interested

I have never used my wi-fi option. In fact the light on my laptop no longer lights up generally, as it used to, that says wi-fi. Though I did find a program for wi-fi on my laptop, which I ran and said all tests passed and light came on until I shut down that session recently.

Are you sure you have the wi-fi  switched on?  On most laptops there is a switch that allows you to switch it on or off.