Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless repeater??

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Wireless repeater??

We have had our conservatory converted with a proper roof, and made it more into a lounge. I've put a TV in there with a Blu-ray and one of our Roku express boxes. Router, a Plusnet hub2 that's works fine is at the front of the house. We get pretty good wireless coverage around the house, my phone in the conservatory on 5ghz is getting around 60mbps, my wife's that's on 2.4ghz around 30mbps, on a connection of almost the full 80/20. Oddly the Roku box is only getting 6mbps, but it says signal etc all good. It's HD only, so that's likely enough, but wondered if a wireless repeater would be helpful. Streaming through it is ok with pretty good quality, or should I just leave alone. Signal on 5ghz is -64dBm in the conservatory according to wifiman. Any advice?Huh
8 REPLIES 8
Protech
Aspiring Pro

Re: Wireless repeater??

Have a look at this

https://community.roku.com/t5/Wi-Fi-connectivity/Poor-download-speed-but-my-internet-is-400mbps/td-p...

It would appear that this is not uncommon with some roku boxes. So I doubt a wireless repeater will help much.
You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that, I'll have look at the signal strength etc. It seems to stream fine, and didn't glitch. When it was in my bedroom, which is directly over router was getting 33mbps. Maybe as it's streaming fine I should stop fussing 😯
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 52

@penfold 

Although not the cheapest option would it be possible to run an ethernet cable from the router to the lounge?

If you live in a detached or semi detached property the cable could be external, terminated at either end by ethernet wall plugs. In the "lounge" you could install a WiFi Access Point (WAP) or a powered ethernet switch which would allow hard wiring of the TV and other devices.

As stated it's not the cheapest option but would give you a solid starting point in the "lounge" and is future proof.

Brian

penfold
Aspiring Pro

It would be difficult and quite involved. I could use power line networking to a WAP. The Roku box doesn't have an ethernet port. I was hoping to use a mains powered wireless repeater for ease.
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Whilst not the optimum solution I have a Plusnet Hub 2 and use a TP-Link Mesh dual band WiFi Extender AC1900 (RE550). I installed mine about 12 months ago and have been pleased with the results (my previous old BT branded single band extender did not want to work with the Hub2. I now get a reliable WIFi signal in the two rooms furthest from my router where coverage was previously patchy. Phones, tablets etc, seem to switch seamlessly between the router and the Extender if I move around the house.

I suspect that TP-Link have other and newer models available now but the AC1900 RE550 does still seem to be available from some on-line sellers. There are, of course, other manufacturers of similar equipment.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 52

@penfold 

If an external cable is possible, I was thinking along the lines of getting someone in to do it - hence not the cheapest option. It is future proof and no worries about the signal reaching the "lounge".

Powerline adapters may well do the job. Things may be better now but in days of old poeple either liked them or didn't. Make sure you get a pair with sufficient WiFi speed in case (or if) FTTP comes along.

Others may offer advice on what to get. Some have a WAP built into the second unit along with ethernet sockets.

Brian

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll have a look about at best options.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 423

If you're considering Powerlines then make sure both units are in a position where they can be plugged into the same electrical circuit, especially if your consumer unit is a split load type with RCDs or has RCBOs. Take the rated spec e.g 1000av with a large pinch of salt, they should be ok up to about 100Mb which is fine for your existing FTTC connection BUT if you are thinking of getting a higher speed Full fibre in future then they will limit the speeds on anything connected via them.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.