cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless adapters - Realtek Or Intel?

bubbalicious
Grafter

Wireless adapters - Realtek Or Intel?

I have a new Toshiab Satellite L500 – 1XC running Windows 7  and its fabulous but for one thing – the wireless!
I am so limited to coverage to a point that it is majorly interfering with what i need the laptop for and how and where i use it! The wireless adapter in this Toshiba  is a Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC.- all other laptops I have tried are using Intel versions and can't help but wonder if that could be the reason, or even could the Windows 7 be the issue
I know that wireless internet isn’t perfect but what is frustrating me is that 3 other laptops I have tried are getting the coverage I need and am used to having  with my previous Sony laptop.  The sony was an ‘n’ as is the new Toshiba the other 2 laptops are both ‘g’!
I have a router that although is only a ‘G’ capability worked fine with my sony that had Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection, fine with my fathers old XP laptop running with the intel 3945ABG! My ancient  old Toshiba I gave to my nephew as ‘no good anymore’ – even that gets coverage further than my new Toshiba – and that was released before wireless networks were available easily – so how does that give that  the coverage a new Toshiba doesn’t!!!
This Toshiba is awful – i can’t get internet if i move 20 metres from the Router, it won’t even reach the office or my room.(both of which I desperately need internet! as well as where it does reach)
I have looked in to reasons/fixes on the internet and have so far tried this
ROUTER  –moved it, changed it’s telephone cable. Checked for new drivers, changed the routers channels.
THE HOUSE - unplugged our cordless phones, our wireless television transmitters, unplugged the microwave. Taken out any other phone lines and checked those we do have have the filters attached.  Turned off our mobile phones and smashed down all walls between the router and laptop (only joking – but very tempted!)
THE LAPTOP - checked for new wireless drivers,  installed them and rolled it back to see if either were better.  Reinstalled using 32bit system and 64bit system.  Removed the security software, checked the power settings and  uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless adapter using Device manager.
I know many may say get a N’ router. And it may be the answer but I have never needed one with older laptops and I bought a new  laptop to use with what i have and as an upgrade not to add another ££££ on top for a new router and that isn’t as good as my old one!  To be honest given the other laptops I have tried over the weekend all getting the coverage I am not I worry I could buy one and it make no difference and then i am stuck with it!.
I asked the sales manager when i was buying the laptop if there was any difference between the Realtek and intel wireless adapters and he assured me one was as good as the other – I was wondering if anyone else has a realtek and if they have these issues or is someone can spot something maybe I have missed to try??? 
I don’t want to bore you with the reasons why (i'veprobably done that already anyway :-\) but I need to be able to get the internet in certain areas of my home and can not use it in the area it does work at all times!
4 REPLIES 4
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Wireless adapters - Realtek Or Intel?

You could try this. !

or the "posh version"

MrC
Grafter

Not sure about recent laptops but most used to have their wireless cards fitted via a mini-PCI slot accessible via a hatch, usually on the bottom of the case. If that's so then firstly check to see if the aerial connections are making a good contact (or even attached at all). These generally take the form of two or more push-on button connectors.
Another thing to try is swapping the mini-PCI cards between your suspect laptop and one of your known working ones. You may have to hunt around for device drivers but generic Intel ones should be easy to find.
Alternatively, beg/borrow/steal a USB adapter and see if that works better.
bubbalicious
Grafter

sorry to the lovely peeps that replied to my request for advice that I rudely haven;t posted but i have only just started up  my new laptop = gone is the toshiba ( :'() and hello to another Sony Vaio!
SHUTTER -I did the silver foil trick - didn't do much for me but we tried it on my nephews game console and it works brillianty - he's very 'chuffed' and my sister is relieved he can now take it to the playroom and not have it annoying everyone in their lounge - they all say - THANKS!! Cheesy Cheesy
RE the wireless - I ended up pleading, for an engineer from the shop I purchased the laptop from  to come to the house to try and sort out if needed new router etc from the shop I purchased it and after running some tests they found that the Tosh wireless was only working to a 'G' - when should be a 'g' . They kindly brought a 'g and 'n wireless router to try & a realtek and intel wiress laptop and there is a huge difference in the coverage I get with the 2 types. On their suggestion I returned the lovely Tosh and am now back to a Sony - couldn't see the model in 'person' & without laptop couldn;t look at the sony website to check the specs but they swore it had an intel wireless adapter so paid an extra £200 for it
It arrived yeaterday had been charging all day and when I eventually turned it on - what do you know device manager shows wireless adapter - not an intel as promised, or a realtek this time the wireless adapter is Atheros!!?? So far am not impressed with the coverage but wondering whether a very windy storm outside could effect it?Huh
I am REALLY annoyed that they misled me!  It's the one thing I have to have is good wireless coverage -- and the reason I had to pay more to get the Sony!
I'm hoping and praying that this time it gives the internet where I need it and the weather is the cause.
I expect you all think I am fussy but there are mobility and health problems that mean I need to have the right internet coverage or may as well not have a laptop.
Sorry to moan  - but where have all the Intel Wireles laptops gone??? 
Thanks again for your time.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Glad it worked..... did you use the "cheapskate version"  or the "posh version" ?  Cheesy