cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows to Linux

The_10th
Grafter

Re: Windows to Linux

Have to agree on the whole with @okrzynska, especially the easily overlooked 'other things to do in life than try and get a computer working' theme which I too would see as important. Though Linux is improving the software ported into Linux causes problems still and then there's the hardware compatibility.
Agree with BarryZ too.  Use the strength of an OS to suit it's strengths and yours too.
End of the day, the computer is a tool to acheive an aim and with Windows 7 coming out the options are improving all the time.
Whatever Os(es) you use - enjoy it!  Smiley
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I think Linux is easier than windows, the problem as I see it is people are used to windows, and the way it does things. I've not been able to test this theory but I reckon that if someone was to start off with no computer experience and the first system they used was Linux, they would find it no more difficult than windows, and in some ways easier.
artificer
Grafter

that's true, ben.  i switched my neighbour before he could learn windows and he's never had a problem.  where before he was coming in almost daily with a problem (what would you expect with win-me?) now he has linux, i rarely here from him except socially.
if all the user wants is to surf a little, send a few emails, write documents, hear music and watch movies, linux has all they need without the worrying malware.  linux is, in that regard, better for the less well-versed user.
my neighbour has a client who calls in her linux expert to fix her windows box whenever it goes wrong.  she also calls him in to change her email settings, because, to her, the box is an appliance, like a toaster.  she's an ideal candidate for linux, but her expert wouldn't earn as much money if she switched.
The_10th
Grafter

Wish I could agree but taking the wider viewpoint Linux will necessitate command line sequences to be honest and then their is the hardware support/driver problems that occur. While cli can be used in windows there is an abundance of users and point and click apps which make functions easier to desktop users.
Linux is moving closer to Windows but the userbase and simplicity of Windows (generally speaking) does give Windows the edge.
One has to remember people just want point and click which Windows does deliver. Windows 7 looks like a good improvement over Vista which was a step back for Windows in publicity if nothing else.
Dual-boot is my preferred option as there is a choice.
+1 about malware and I have shown people that pop-ups/unders didn't occur in Linux but did in Windows even with Firefox  Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Have you actually tried a Linux distro recently?
It's actually quite possible to never use a command line - apart from admin type problem diagnosis/fixing.
It's very convenient, though, if you do have a little extra knowledge  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: The
Have you actually tried a Linux distro recently?
It's actually quite possible to never use a command line - apart from admin type problem diagnosis/fixing...

Maybe my signature userbar gives a clue  Wink - and as such the command line will be needed at some point realistically (problem fixing).
Command line does give control but the control requires knowledge which the average 'joe' isn't interested in.
Heloman
Grafter

I'm your typical "average joe" and as I've said here before I'm allergic to CLI . But I've been a very happy Linux user for two years now.
Don't even have Windows installed.
For some reason there persists the myth amongst Linux old hands that CL knowledge is necessary. It isn't. They just seem to want Linux to remain exclusive. Angry
I have had no hardware/driver support problems with the latest releases of distros such as Mepis or PCLOS (latest updates to 2009 test). These are very friendly for users accustomed to Windows, equally point-and-click, and with far fewer problems.
Most people seem to recommend Ubuntu for Linux newbies. Strongly disagree, because that does require CLI.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Heloman
Most people seem to recommend Ubuntu for Linux newbies. Strongly disagree, because that does require CLI.

It does?  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Denzil
Grafter

I occasionally use the CL in Ubuntu. Usually it is because I have been Googling for how to do something and the answer contains a CL instruction. No doubt it could often be done through the appropriate GUI as well, but it is sometimes easier just to copy and paste the instruction into a CL window. Minimal understanding required  Smiley
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: Ben
I think Linux is easier than windows, the problem as I see it is people are used to windows, and the way it does things. I've not been able to test this theory but I reckon that if someone was to start off with no computer experience and the first system they used was Linux, they would find it no more difficult than windows, and in some ways easier.

Apologies for suddenly coming back to reply to an earlier post. Was unexpectedly away for  couple of days. But I totally agree with this comment.
My first experience was when I was given a computer (Win98SE) as a retirement present. I'd never touched or used one before. After many months I had taught myself enough to even go on-line! Later upgraded (?) to XP.  Kept having boot problems which often needed a complete re-install. These could take two days. Install, update to SP2. reinstall and update Anti-virus, anti-spyware, Ad-Aware, Firewall etc. etc.
I then turned to Linux.
Bliss, especially the latest distro versions which are very user-friendly.
With the PCLinuxOS "remaster" facility, if I get too adventurous and foul things up I can re-install my OS to its present state from the remastered DVD in less than 30 mins.
You are right Dennis. Wish I'd started with Linux in the first place...
The_10th
Grafter

I see that Sean B. hasn't responded for a while. Maybe this thread was deteriorating into a 'fanboy' thread?  Grin
Life is too short to waste in front of a comput..