Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Vista Malicious software removal tool

matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: Windows Vista Malicious software removal tool

*sigh* let me emphasise.
besides, whats 120mb these days, you get memory sticks easily 8x that size.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

but my lap top only has a 44G  C drive and 39G back up, and I use it for Video work, that why I delete rubbish
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: Matt_2k34
*sigh* let me emphasise.
besides, whats 120mb these days, you get memory sticks easily 8x that size.

*sigh*
and let me emphasize..... I ain`t rich.... I can`t afford stuff like that. ... so no good telling me to go and spend £20 I don`t need to spend, when I can make a couple of clicks and clear some space on my current hdd.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Shutter, you're missing the point totally.  Wink
Don't buy anything, don't do anything, don't waste your time trying to clear out fag-ends that don't matter.
Do something more interesting, even watch the Football World Cup if you must.  Crazy
matt_2k34
Grafter

so no good telling me to go and spend £20 I don`t need to spend

indeed, it wasnt directed at you- but at RR.
problem i have, is deleting a few mb every other week isnt going to save you too much space imo, ull find that a lot of these 'cleaner' programs will empty these folders out for you, scheduling them to run ofc will keep them deleting the folders.
I really dont think you'll gain much benefit though from it. but thats only my opinion
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Good Grief Of course both PP and Shutter are BOTH going to benefit from what they are doing, Saving 200mb is far superior than LOSING 200mb imho.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Being a Yok shu man..... and my father too, he always told me to "look after the pennies, and the pounds will take care of themselves"..... this seems to be the same situation to me.... Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

me thinks it like those idiots who keep recommending Cloud computing, sitting at the end of their super fibre connections, some should get into the real world and try uploading their documents to heaven at 360K using their controlled usage connection
matt_2k34
Grafter

Right.
Well it was only a comment because saving 200mb this way is really not alot. Theres *alot* of other things you could do which you could save considerably more space.

@Steve M - is space at that much of a premium ? - A lot 'cleaning' tools will get rid of these files anyway - you'd probably be better just using one of these, as you'll get more benefits than just deleting the folder described above
@pierre_pierre, Yes cloud computing might not be for everyone. But your connection should do this fine, Google Docs, for instance - should run full speed.
40KB/sec should be max 5 seconds for a big document.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just had another look at my Windows folder, it also had a small 1G folder that had all the M$S update infos on it way back to 2005
and the various cleaners dont touch that
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just counted the 2009 update unintstalls only 50 of them
matt_2k34
Grafter

and the various cleaners dont touch that

Wrong, some cleaners *do* clean Windows 'hidden' files and folders, which includes the update caches (and not by default,but would do the update caches/uninstalls etc.) -- (or at least TuneUp used to, and was configurable for, but i dont have it on my laptop so cant check) -- but *i THINK* this is the one i had in mind, which cleaned out old windows bits Tongue - i used another too, but TUU became my only need eventually.
it also had a small 1G folder that had all the M$S update infos on it way back to 2005

Im amazed anyone is still using the same install for that long tbh - But each to their own Smiley  Cheesy

You should look how big your profiles are in WinXP (im assuming thats what your using?)... Crazy  Cheesy
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

IF you want to find LOTS of unexpected stuff try looking in System Volume Information or at the super-hidden folders & files (if you can find them) .
pierre_pierre
Grafter

my System Volume is size zero.
the only hidden folder in Windows is 20M and 918 files called ie7, strange as I have ie8
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Im amazed anyone is still using the same install for that long tbh - But each to their own Smiley  Cheesy

Quote from: shutter
Have just had to do a re-install of vista....  Cry  

Yes, I think that Shutter overlooks the fact that if he has "had to" re-install Vista once he'll probably want to do it again.
so no good telling me to go and spend £20 I don`t need to spend

indeed, it wasnt directed at you- but at RR.

I wasn't advocating that Shutter should spend £20 but, mindful of the old adage "time is money", was thinking that it might be better to spend a little money than a lot of time.