cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 update failing, is WSUS offline a good route to take?

FIXED
Routefinder
Grafter

Re: Windows 7 update failing, is WSUS offline a good route to take?

Thanks for this most recent reconfirmation that "it works" and that being"1511" I surmise.

Need to reconfirm some saves and backups and get on with it Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Fix

You surmise correctly.  I created a Window 10 installation USB stick some months ago and have used it to upgrade or repair several computers since.  Because of its age it has the 1511 version of Windows 10 which was the current version when i created it.  It also installs the UK English version of Windows 10.

Yesterday I was faced with a laptop running Windows 8.1 and performing badly with various features not working.  There was file corruption on the disk although no permanent damage (bad sectors).  I thought a repair of Windows was in order and the easiest way to achieve that was to try an upgrade to Windows 10.  After the upgrade Windows reported that it was activated 'with a digital entitlement'.  I could have tried upgrading with the 1607 version but since that postdates the era of the free Windows 10 upgrade I thought that was an unnecessary risk.   

Routefinder
Grafter

Sad

Well the start of the installation went well Smiley I got the license agreement > > the chosen things to install W10 and Files & apps >> the initial blue screen telling me Installing Windows 10 "Your PC will restart several times. This might take a while >>>>> it got to 100%>>>>> "Your PC will restart in a few moments" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>then it switched back to the W7 Desktop with a 'Something Happened' dialogue box telling me "Windows 10 Installation Has Failed"

I have tried again with both W10 Eng_US and the W10 Eng_International, both off of the HDD and also from the original burned ISO on the DVD.

Any resolutions I might try and suggestions welcome???

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

The Windows 10 Upgrade process creates a log.  If you look through the log you should be able to find the error that caused your update to fail.  When I first tried to install Windows 10 it failed because there was a corrupt file in the small System partition at the start of the disk.  The error message in the log was obscure but enough to point me in the right direction and I was able to repair the corrupt file and get the upgrade to work.  Try using the F8 option on start-up, chose Repair ..., then Command Prompt from the various options and run Chkdsk /b on all the partitions you can find.

From your description of events I take it you did not get as far as the 'wheel of progress' (white circle on a black background).  If so your upgrade fails at quite an early stage.

Routefinder
Grafter

Hi Reed

Well, I did look for solutions(?) and the first one I tried was "set language to ENG_US" that did not work then I turned off my Eset system security/AV and that worked.....................where before it gave me the error mentioned above > the next step showed my desktop and then reboot as stated in the install page Smiley

I left it to get on with it overnight to wake and find all ready to rock 'n roll Cheesy

So far I have found:-

1) It recognised my two user accounts - I logged on with the Admin first and that because of an old program started a download & install of .Net Framework version 3.5

1a) It also downloaded the most up to date nVidia graphics driver in the background and updated that AOK

2) Logged into my 'every day' user account and as per the Admin one it had kept all my desktop and other personalisations.:)

3) I will be going through my various programs but so far MS Office 2007 looks AOK, Chrome AOK

3a) I did have to 'find' IE11 and put a taskbar icon in place (I need IE for a particular task to do with my work access)

4) the one thing I have found changed that I wish was not is:- in the 'every day' user in W7 when admin access password was required there was a dialogue box asking for it but in 10 (though not done yet) you have to actively "change user" to the Admin one Sad

Therefore so far all hunky dorey, though if you have any pointers to some guides for keeping an eye on the control of W10 phone home habits and other such useful W10 stuff that would be nice to know.

Oh, and as per your experiences it says it is activated and version 1511 with no updates available yet.

Thanks once again for your insight and support and hopefully this thread will help others doing the the same thing.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I'm glad you were successful in the end.  Perhaps you are running an old version of ESET that predates Windows 10?  You'll probably need to install UK English in the Language Settings.

Routefinder
Grafter

I am using ESET Smart Security 9, afaik the most current of that program.  Though on the ESET site they do mention issues with W10 Anniversary Edition (is that 1607 ?) but version 8 not 9 is the one that seems to be the "issue".  Hmmmmm! so remains to be seen what happens when this W10 1511 updates to Anniversary (1607) in due course???

As for the language settings as per W7 I am using UK English in both users settings and the Admin settings within the language control panel.  Interestingly, when checking that the above mentioned password check (into Admin control) popped up i.e. no need to change user to Admin.  So sounds like a couple of different context differences depending on where or whether the Admin privileges are needed to make a change?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Routefinder
Grafter

A last(?) question Smiley

I have done a check for updates to ensure the basic KB fixes are installed but what about the update to v1607 (Anniversary Edition) I have read of some issues associated with 1607 so when Wupdates offers it or does install it just how robust is compared to a patched version1511 Huh

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

A little late in replying but here's a useful site for Windows users experiencing searching for updates taking a very long time or not completing at all.

Search for Windows Updates takes forever?

One would think Micro$oft are deliberately making it difficult to update their old OSs, in an attempt to force people on to W10. Angry

That's RPM to you!!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@Routefinder wrote:

..... what about the update to v1607 (Anniversary Edition) 

You cannot go back to Windows 7 once you install 1607 over 1511.  Therefore you won't be offered 1607 until your 30-day grace period for reverting to Windows 7 expires.  Every time you get a big update to an OS there is a small risk of finding something broken.  Apple is no better than Microsoft.  Earlier this week I had to re-install an all-in-one printer for somebody who could no longer save scans after updating to Mac OS Sierra.  

Routefinder
Grafter

Thanks for the linky but I tried the advice on that one previously and did not work for me Sad

@RPMozley wrote:

A little late in replying but here's a useful site for Windows users experiencing searching for updates taking a very long time or not ........................................

Routefinder
Grafter

@ReedRichards wrote:

@Routefinder wrote:

..... what about the update to v1607 (Anniversary Edition) 

You cannot go back to Windows 7 once you install 1607 over 1511.  Therefore you won't be offered 1607 until your 30-day grace period ........................ 

Thanks once again Reed for the pointer Smiley

So far with 1511 all is well and it is routinely checking for updates the last one earlier today and the last installed 1511 update 15th November.

As far as I am concerned W7 is dust but as mentioned above I will not force the 1607 update but wait for it to happen/be offered.

Routefinder
Grafter

Just by way of an update...............or not as the case may be?

Though now (just) over a month @ 35 days since upgrading to W10 it is still on 1511 with no Wupdate since 12th December and no sign of 1607 being installed/offered.m  NB the last 1511 update on 15th November was "Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3150513)"

As mentioned I am content with W10 1511 as on the face of it it is nice and stable, more so than the flakey way at least in regard to Wupdate, that W7 was.

But I am puzzled as to why no 1607 yet?

TIA for any insights Smiley

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Microsoft just experienced a major issue with an update to Windows 10 'breaking' the network adaptor.  I don't know if the problem was confined to the 1607 version but they might have suspended offering upgrades to earlier versions until they sort out the problem.  If you want to force the issue you can use the Media Creation Tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 .

Routefinder
Grafter

Yes, I was reading of an issue and the hybrid shutdown vs restart to 'clear the issue'.

Oh well, patience to see what transpires in regard to 1607 being made available via Wupdate?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.